Computer fails to boot after Windows update

MoreFoam

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016
Hello,

I could use some help troubleshooting as to why computer is failing to boot after a windows update. Please note, my computer always fails to install Windows updates. I have no idea why it fails, but it does. I've given up on the prospect of Windows updates. I've seen similar threads, but I have specific information to share related to my instance of this issue. See below:

While windows attempted to update, I went to the kitchen. When I arrived back, nothing was on my computer screens and I noticed one of my top case fans was not spinning or lighting up. My motherboard has 2 cpu fan pins. The aforementioned fan was connected to the 2nd cpu fan pin.

So that made me initially think I might have an issue with my CPU. I decided to check my heatsink fan and it is spinning, so I'm not so sure the issue is with the CPU anymore.

Here are the troubleshooting steps I took (Note: I attempted to boot after each troubleshooting step, with no success):
- Remove, clean, reinstall CPU
- Reseat RAM
- Reseat GPU
- Reseat sound card
- Remove CMOS battery, then reinstall CMOS battery

The only step that had any effect was removing/reinstalling the CMOS battery. The top fan now lights up and spins, but every 2 seconds or so the light will slightly dim. These are not dimmable fans, so it seems like maybe it is not getting consistent power.

I have very little experience troubleshooting hardware, as this is the 2nd computer I've ever built and my first one never gave me trouble. With my limited knowledge, I think I have a bad motherboard. I've also read that PSU's can commonly cause similar problems.

My Questions: Does anyone have any advice or related experience to share with me on this subject? and what other troubleshooting steps might I take?

Computer Specs:
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2696 v4
MOBO: ASRock X99 Extreme4
RAM: 32gb (4 x 8gb) G.SKILL Ripjaws V
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z PCIe
Storage: 1 x 500gb Samsung SSD, 1 x 2tb Micron SSD
PSU: EVGA 600w Bronze rated

Potentially Useful Info:
- The computer is ~11 months old
- Operating system is Windows 10, but I do not remember the specific version
- For clarification, when I say the computer does not boot, I mean I cannot even get to BIOS. Nothing at all ever shows on screen.

------------------------------------
Note: if I have done something incorrect in this post, please let me know and I can correct it.