Question Computer Fails to Boot with "Enhanced Format" activated on Sony TV

Solo Popo

Honorable
Jul 27, 2015
I recently set up a Sony X85J 4K TV as a second monitor to my PC. It is hooked up to my computer through an RTX 3070 OC's HDMI input with a high speed cable. Everything works fine when I have the HDMI mode on the TV set to "standard." But when I change the HDMI mode to "enhanced", which is meant for HDMI 2.1, it stalls on the boot screen and starts displaying flashing artifacts. If I change from standard to enhanced with the computer and TV already on it seems fine, but it reverts display scaling settings within Windows to 300 percent. Because I'm using the TV as a second monitor, it won't allow me to change scaling of the screen unless I restart the computer with the primary monitor turned off (more info on that linked bellow). When I do this with enhanced format on it won't get past the boot menu. In standard format I can make it past the boot menu. I'm hoping to get it working with enhanced format for high refresh rates and overall higher bandwidth. Any help is greatly appreciated.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...t-up-as-second-monitor.3753126/#post-22631212

Solo Popo

Honorable
Jul 27, 2015
What HDMI cable did you buy?
It may not be HDMI 2.1 compatible.

It's linked in the thread above.

Edit: In case the link isn't working
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S1CGQ9Z?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
Zeskit Maya 8K 48Gbps Certified Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable 6.5ft, 4K120 8K60 144Hz eARC HDR HDCP 2.2 2.3 Compatible with Dolby Vision Apple TV 4K Roku Sony LG Samsung Xbox Series X RTX 3080 PS4 PS5

As I'm looking at it, it doesn't specifically say HDMI 2.1. It did have the ultra high speed certification sticker on the box though.

Last edited:

Solo Popo

Honorable
Jul 27, 2015
Okay, so I've made some progress. Not every HDMI port on this TV is 2.1. I plugged the HDMI cable into one of the HDMI 2.1 ports. That wasn't enough to do anything by itself though. Then I updated the firmware of the TV and that actually did do something. I can now change the refresh rate up to 120 hz! However, I'm back where I started with the scaling issue I had from my previous thread (linked in the OP). The screen defaults to 300 percent scaling and the option to change it is grayed out because it is a secondary monitor. I can make it past the boot screen this time with the primary monitor turned off, but only if the display is changed to 120hz before restarting. However, when I make it to the Windows log in screen it is black and the screen periodically turns on but then quickly turns back off again. So I can't use the TV as a primary monitor to get around the issue of the grayed out scaling options like last time. It seems to function perfectly fine as a secondary monitor for some reason though, except I can't change the scaling. I'm so close to totally resolving this. It seems the computer actually was making it past boot. It was just the display that wasn't refreshing the image properly beyond that point. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

Solo Popo

Honorable
Jul 27, 2015
After reading around I discovered some people have resolved various flickering screen problems with Sony TVs by setting their refresh rates to 100hz. Setting the refresh rate to 100hz enabled me to get past the boot and login screens to change the scaling. The problem is effectively fixed. I now have the TV set up as my secondary monitor, the resolution is at 4K, the UI is scaled properly and the refresh rate can be set anywhere from 30 to 120 hz. I'm not sure what I would do If I wanted the TV to work as a primary monitor and run at 120hz. But fortunately I don't need it to serve that purpose with my setup. I'm still curious what solution their may be though if anyone has any ideas. Big thanks for the support guys 😁

Last edited:
Reactions: drivinfast247