Computer fails to recognize drives

harley.r.strain

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017
This is a pretty weird one, or at least for me. I've had my own share of issues when installing Windows 10 and building computers but they've all been fixable thus far. I installed Windows 10 on my machine a few days ago. I didn't get to do much so because I've been busy so I've set it aside, I come back a few days later only to find that it just won't boot. As it says no bootable drive found. No problem I insert my boot drive for Windows 10 thinking maybe I can just, reinstall Windows 10, and thinking that this is a boot drive that will work. Turns out there's no drives listed when I try this. I check my cables and they're all plugged in, I try again. Same thing. I've tested my PSU, which turns out to not be the problem. During this time I've actually had a power outage in my neighborhood, but I wasn't worried as my machine is plugged into a power surge protector. I double check to see if my power supply is working, and it is. What's weirder is when I try to boot through different sata connections is that now my machine just freezes on "press del to enter bios" and I can't even enter the bios unless I unplug the drives. And I've already reset the bios settings. The last thing I've tried is plugging in a spare hard drive, but still no dice, nothing is showing up.

My rig is a bit of an old setup, it's an amd fx6300, a just-as-old motherboard with a GTX 750ti.

My question is, what do I need to fix or if unfixable what do I need to replace. I don't want to Shell out the money for a new motherboard and CPU if I'm just going to have the same issue.

Solution
Seems like with latest windows update, as jayzTwoCents said, it might need newest bios update cause windows update did something.
You can do clear cmos, basicly, unplug PSU from wall, remove shiny battery, press and hold power button for 30s~, then plug back battery, then switch PSU off plug in the power cable and then flip the PSU on and see if in bios drive gets recognized, if not there might be another issue.
So you can enter BIOS when no hdd is connected, from what I can tell.
How many HDD's do you have?
Pick one of them, and try each and every SATA, have nothing else connected to the computer, eg dvd or anything like that.
Also try them a second time with a different SATA cable. 2 Cables are unlikely to be bad.

Seems like with latest windows update, as jayzTwoCents said, it might need newest bios update cause windows update did something.
You can do clear cmos, basicly, unplug PSU from wall, remove shiny battery, press and hold power button for 30s~, then plug back battery, then switch PSU off plug in the power cable and then flip the PSU on and see if in bios drive gets recognized, if not there might be another issue.

Solution