Computer fails to start with more than 2 sticks of RAM

sgerbic

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Today I installed a new CPU cooling unit as the old one (that came with the computer out of the box) was not doing a good job anymore. Removing the old heatsink also pulled the CPU itself off the motherboard as the thermal compound had stuck the two together well. I replaced the CPU and connected it back up properly.

However, when I started my computer back up, all I got was a black screen and a notice saying that my monitor was not receiving a signal. Eventually, I tracked the problem down to the RAM. The computer came with 4 2GB sticks of RAM and I am not using anything other than the original sticks of RAM. With 1 stick in slot 1 or 2 sticks in slots 1 and 3, the computer starts up fine. However, if I put anything in slots 2 or 4, I get the same problem wherein I get a black screen, no signal error and never get to any part of the start up to select boot devices, etc. Running CPU-Z I found that my computer is on single channel for RAM and it seems it wont boot if it tries to go to double channel.

The computer worked perfectly fine with all 4 sticks of RAM in until I replaced the old heatsink with the new one.

Specs:
Motherboard: Gateway RS780
RAM: Nanya 2GB Serial #: NT2GT64U8HD0BY-AD
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9750

Solution
Sounds to me like there's a contact issue with your second DDRx channel.

If the CPU came out with the heatsink when you removed it you may have bent some pins. Take it back out properly and take a look to make sure that everything is nice and straight.
Sounds to me like there's a contact issue with your second DDRx channel.

If the CPU came out with the heatsink when you removed it you may have bent some pins. Take it back out properly and take a look to make sure that everything is nice and straight.

Solution

sgerbic

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Well, I took a look at the CPU again, and you were right. 2 of the pins had failed to go back into their holes and had been bent down onto the CPU. After a little bit of work, I managed to pull them upright and when they were slotted back into the holes and the CPU locked down, they were straightened out. Took a couple of tries to make sure, but eventually I got all the pins in straight.

After that, I got all 4 sticks of memory in and working. Thanks, wouldn't have thought to look at the CPU again if you hadn't mentioned it. Im actually surprised that the computer would work at all with any combination of RAM when it had bent CPU pins.

Glad you got it working!