Computer failure, need to figure out which component has failed

Threehan

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016
Hi guys,

So a couple weeks ago, I walked away from my computer then came back 2 minutes later to a black screen. I tried restarting the computer a few times, but nothing seemed to happen. I took a look at my case and found a few drops of water (likely from me somehow spilling water from my cup that I went to the kitchen to refill) on the top of the case. I looked inside the case and found a few more drops of water and knew I was screwed. I had to travel the next day, so I decided not to mess with it any further. When I got back, I tried rebooting it again with the same results. I look inside the case as I was restarting and noticed that the fan would start for a split second and immediately come to a halt. The lights on my motherboard wouldn't light up, but the lights on my RAM did. This led me to believe that it was the CPU that had failed. I waited until black friday sales came around and bought a new CPU on sale tried installing that and came back with the same exact results.

I don't have extra parts and I don't have the money to create a whole new build at the moment. Do any of you know how I could determine what component has failed?

Current build:
i5-7600K (initially i5-6600K)
Hyper 212 EVO cooler
EVGA 1070
EVGA 500W 80+
256GB SSD A-DATA
480GB SanDisk Ultra II SSD with Windows 10 installed
1TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5" HDD
5TB Toshiba 3.5" HDD
Gigabyte UD Z170 MoBo
16 GB avexir RAM DDR4
Corsair 200R case

Solution
Nope. If the BIOS thats on it now doesnt support that Kaby Lake, it wont post / do anything.

If the old CPU still works you have to reinstall it flash the BIOS then put the new one in
Have you ever updated the BIOS??

Because the replacement, is a Kaby Lake the old was Skylake.

The Z170 would need a BIOS update to support a Kaby Lake. if the BIOS has never been updated.

If there's a mobo speaker on the mobo, replace the old CPU remove the ram

See if it beeps

Threehan

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016
BIOS doesn't seem to be relevant here, because I don't even get to the point of a BIOS screen. I'm fairly certain there was an electrical failure here and it just wasn't my CPU.

Threehan

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016
So how would I determine if my BIOS is up to date? Wouldn't I still get some kind of screen without the CPU working if it goes to the BIOS menu?