Question Computer Failure

May 29, 2020
All,

Has this ever happened to you, and if so how was it resolved?

The other day my desktop computer, home built, emitted a sound that could best be described as a gunshot; sharp and loud enough to startle me. The computer immediately died.

The motherboard is the ASUS P9X79 Deluxe with a 2011 socket, the CPU is an Intel I7-3820 quad core socket LGA2011 running at 3.6 GHz, the memory is 32 GB made up of 8 Kingston HyperX DDR3 chips.

The computer was running under Windows 7 and the ‘C’ drive was a 500 GB SSD. In addition there are four other normal hard drives connected to the computer via the trays built into the case.

I also had spare hard drives, both 500 GB, one with Windows 7 and one with Windows 10 which I had created approximately 12 months earlier. I removed the SSD and installed the spare Windows 7 drive. My plan being to create a new Windows 7 drive and add all the program files from the SSD.

Somehow I screwed up in trying to copy just the program files from the SSD and ended up with nothing. My computer data was now basically one year old, so I exchanged the spare Windows 7 drive with the spare Windows 10 to see which one was the latest.

To cut a long story short, I was transferring from one OS to the other to try to get the latest situation onto the Windows 7 drive. After many exchanges of drives Windows 7 would no longer boot up; Windows 10 continued to boot up for a while but then that too stopped booting. For a little while longer I was able to boot into the computer from a Linux disk, but now I cannot boot anything. After going through a EUFI BIOS POST the whole thing freezes up.

The Q-Code table LED showed 00, which the manual says is unused.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong and how to fix it?