Question Computer false starts after abrupt shutdown.

May 15, 2019
Hello, I have an issue turning on my PC after it suddenly shut down.

For context: I turned on my computer to find things strangely slow, I dug around the task manager to see what was running only to see an unusual percentage of memory usage despite only about 3GB of RAM being used (out of 8GB). A quick look at the System window showed "8GB of RAM installed (3.98 availabl3)" this was not the first time this happened, it must have been the third or so (the last time it happened was two years ago however) and rebooting fixed it the last few times.

But this time, when it was turning on, it reached POST and immediately shutdown. I tried turning it on again and it did not respond at all. I opened up the case and checked all wires were in their proper place, and turned it on again only to see the CPU, PSU, case and GPU fans turn on for a brief moment, barely enough for a quarter of spin, really, and then shut down.

I unplugged everything, USB devices, hard drive, DVD drive, GPU, etc. Leaving motherbowrd with CPU and PSU connected, turning it on in this state yielded the same results. I tried a different power cord and wall socket, no change.

How can I determine what the problem is, and could I possibly fix it without having to replace the more expensive parts? I am not a person with much in regards to income, I am a refuge, and this computer is my only means to support my family.

Here are my specs, and thanks in advance.

Motherboard: Asrock N68C-GS FX
CPU: AMD FX-6300
PSU: EVGA 700W
HDD: WD5000AAKX 500GB
GPU: Nvidia geforce 960gtx
RAM: 8GB DDR3

May 15, 2019
On further testing, all of the fans spin and seem to work when turned on while the CPU is unplugged. It refuses to turn on when either of the 4-pin connectors and plugged in.

Edit: a kind soul was able to lend me a PSU just long enough for a test, and with this working PSU the PC behaved the same way. So I believe we can rule out the PSU as the problem.

How can I determine whether the CPU or the Motherboard is the guilty party?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS