[SOLVED] Computer fans spin for split-second, but computer fails to POST ?

Mar 22, 2021
Hello,

I have a friend who recently built a computer to sell, but due to a lack of troubleshooting knowledge passed it off to me. When I attempt to boot the PC, the fans will begin to spin, stop, then the RGB LEDs on the ram will be stuck on a white color whether or not I try to reset it from the front of the case. I've followed the troubleshooting guide. Removed and tested each stick of RAM, Removed GPU, Reset the CPU in its socket. Re-applied thermal paste. Tested whether the fans were causing a short. Checked the <standoff> posts to make sure the motherboard wasn't making contact with the metal on the case. etc. I have oddly enough had 4 seconds of excitement as when I removed the SATA cables from the motherboard, it decided to kick on the monitor for a black screen then subsequently shutting off.

Specs are:
Ryzen 5 2600
RX 580
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB kit @ 3200Mhz
Gigabyte b450m ds3h
Apevia ATX-PR600W

If more information regarding the system is needed, please ask away.

My current optimistic-minded theory is the cheap PSU. However, on a more pessimistic side, I think the Motherboard could be faulty. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

JP

Solution
Better get a mobo with warning led so at least it can tell you which part is wrong...
In your case it feels like the PSU has failed to power up the board. Where do you hook on the fan? On CPU fan or case fan socket? The only thing needed for a case fan to spin is power, even the mobo self test failed the fan should keep spinning until you power off.
Mar 24, 2021
Better get a mobo with warning led so at least it can tell you which part is wrong...
In your case it feels like the PSU has failed to power up the board. Where do you hook on the fan? On CPU fan or case fan socket? The only thing needed for a case fan to spin is power, even the mobo self test failed the fan should keep spinning until you power off.

Solution