Computer Fans Spin, No Display, Turns Off And Reboots.

Kevern_11

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
My friend helped another friend build his first PC and the title is the issue they have. They built it a while ago and while asking me questions I told them to come here, and here we are a month later and im making the post.

They described the issue as the title says with all fans spinning, mouse led's on, for roughly 10 seconds then it goes into a boot cycle. Specs below.

I7-6700k
Some gigabyte z170 atx motherboard, Gaming M5 or something similar
GTX 970
G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4
Phantom 410
550w Evga PSU

Solution

Have them check again, tell them that the memories can be hard to seat properly and they should hear/feel the clicks of the sockets. If the motherboard has internal graphics, have them remove the graphics card.

Kevern_11

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015

This is what I figured was wrong, but they came to have done it all right. I havent seen it in person yet.

XistenZ

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014

Have them check again, tell them that the memories can be hard to seat properly and they should hear/feel the clicks of the sockets. If the motherboard has internal graphics, have them remove the graphics card.

Solution

Stackimaginable

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

It seems to be unlikely, but if you have another higher capacity PSU, try hooking it up to the computer. If that does not work, the PSU itself could be defective. Maybe try transplanting your own PSU into their PC and see if it can boot. If it does, then RMA the PSU. If it still does not work make sure everything is seated correctly, all cables in correct places. Some PCI-e connectors are 4-pin and look very similar to the 4-pin CPU connector on the motherboard near the CPU. Make sure the correct 4-pin is in each connector.
Reply with results of these troubleshooting steps.