[SOLVED] Computer Fans Spin No Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

wfwcowboys

Reputable
Dec 4, 2018
So I’ve had a problem with my system where the fans spin the leds light up but there is no system post it doesn’t make it to the point where the bios fan curve kicks in and the fans rev down. It used to be fixed simply by rebooting then unplugging and replugging then just luck of the draw after turning off and on over and over and now it just won’t work no matter what. I ordered a new power supply as that was my first thought and it hasn’t arrived yet but I put my current power supply into my sisters computer and it worked fine one random thing to note is that her system uses 4pin eps instead of 8 like mine so I just split the connector as normal also her computer uses an old fm2+ mobo and requires much less wattage than my computer so I don’t know if that means anything. So I’m now wondering if it’s not the psu and instead the motherboard. I’ve cleared cmos, reseated all connections, reseated and tested ram, and so far no dice. I really don’t want this to be a motherboard issue but it very well could. Anyone know if the psu still could be at fault or if it’s for sure something else.

Here are my specs:

Mobo-B450 Aorus Pro WiFi mini itx

Ram-Corsair vengeance 16gb 2 sticks running at 3200mhz

Cpu-Ryzen 7 1700

Power supply-Corsair VS 550 (The newer model with a white sticker)

GPU-Rtx 2600

Storage-480gb ssd and 7.2k rpm 2tb hard drive

Sorry for any formatting issues or grammer issues I suck at writing and I’m on mobile

You SERIOUSLY need a better PSU. That VS series PSU is absolutely not good enough and is also very likely the cause of the problems you have right now. While the gray-sticker VS is better than the orange ones, it's still not good enough for even a GTX 1660 super, let alone an RTX 2060. Get a proper power supply that's capable of handling your system. Here's a PSU Tier list, don't buy any PSU below Tier B+: PSU Tier List 4.0 - Cases and Power Supplies - Linus Tech Tips.

wfwcowboys

Reputable
Dec 4, 2018
I bought a EVGA G5 650 watt psu but I’m still puzzled as how it could be the issue if it’s worked fine for 1 year and when the computer boots without the issue happening it works ok and works in my sisters computer I know it’s a crap psu but it seems to still be working

I bought a EVGA G5 650 watt psu but I’m still puzzled as how it could be the issue if it’s worked fine for 1 year and when the computer boots without the issue happening it works ok and works in my sisters computer I know it’s a crap psu but it seems to still be working
That's often how PSU's go out - when you least expect them to. It's worked fine for a year is what you think, but it's actually been slowly damaging your other parts by giving out bad power to them. Your sister's computer sounds much lower-end than your system, which is probably why it is still able to power that system. Yours on the other hand is mid-range, much more powerful than hers(I'm guessing), and that PSU simply is not up to the task of powering it. It worked for a year somehow, hopefully without doing any lasting damage to anything else, but it's time to put it on the shelf(or the dustbin) now.

wfwcowboys

Reputable
Dec 4, 2018
That's often how PSU's go out - when you least expect them to. It's worked fine for a year is what you think, but it's actually been slowly damaging your other parts by giving out bad power to them. Your sister's computer sounds much lower-end than your system, which is probably why it is still able to power that system. Yours on the other hand is mid-range, much more powerful than hers(I'm guessing), and that PSU simply is not up to the task of powering it. It worked for a year somehow, hopefully without doing any lasting damage to anything else, but it's time to put it on the shelf(or the dustbin) now.
Thanks for telling me that I guess it’s not supplying enough power for boot and only randomly does and then it doesn’t require as much after that or something. Thanks for telling me that I’ll give you an update when the new psu arrives.

wfwcowboys

Reputable
Dec 4, 2018
Ok so after installing the new psu the same problem is happening and I’m now clueless as to what the issue is could it be the mobo?

Ok so after installing the new psu the same problem is happening and I’m now clueless as to what the issue is could it be the mobo?
Have you made sure all connections are done correctly?. You can try reseating and cleaning the RAM, maybe install in a different slot and use only a single stick. If available, also try putting the GPU into a different PCI-E slot on the motherboard.

wfwcowboys

Reputable
Dec 4, 2018
Ok so after a few months I forgot to update on the situation but it was the motherboard. I sent it in and they fixed it and claimed it was the BIOS chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.