computer for backup, saving files, folders local

Jan 11, 2019

Drives, right now just a couple 2x4 TB WD Blacks 7200 rpm and a 7200rpm drive for OS
RAM, at the present just 2x2GB DDR2 (4Gb) that is 10 years old, same as board. Top ram speed on board 1600OC other wise 800, 1066 and 1333, I have the 800 MHz, CPU Wolfdale E-8500 Core 2 Dual 3.16 GHz
Can I use the windows 7 OS to do this?
Thanks

Sure. The only issue I have is, why have a second PC, rather than transfer the drives into the main PC. Unless there's a good reason against it, such as heat, power or security, I would prefer to add the drives to the main PC. However, it might be something that suits you.

For what it's worth, I had two 840 Evos in my old PC. When I built the new one, I transferred the backup one to the new PC as a spare drive. The benchmarks for said drive improved a lot on the new PC. Most likely RAM speed or CPU power was the cause. Bear it in mind.

Jan 11, 2019

For me it's noise. I'm in a small room and I really can't get away from the computer, that is when it gets built.
Worried about spinning drives bleeding into the mic's when recording.
I've taken many steps to make the room as silent as possible, for recording acoustic instruments
I'm aware of other factor as well, case fans (minimum / large), PSU doesn't kick on until it reaches certain load, my whole system is below that limit.
I do have some SSD's I was planning of putting those in the new build. When it gets built!?
But I agree with what you said, and it sure would make things a lot more simpler for me.
It's just noise I guess?

Thanks

Jan 11, 2019

Are you a musician? I couldn't resist any longer, with that cool thumbnail!!!

thanks