[SOLVED] Computer FPS Drops/Laggy/Stuttering After Changing PSU

Sep 22, 2020
Before I switched my power supply, I had problems with my computer randomly shutting down for some reason. Most often when I played games like Valorant. My screen would turn off but my PC would still be running. At one point my PC shut down entirely and couldn't turn back on so I decided to buy a new power supply and my PC was able to turn on again.

However, now for some reason from time to time, my computer would get slow, laggy, and have micro stutters. The stutters and FPS drops happen mostly when playing games. The games aren't even demanding at all because I mostly play only League Of Legends and Valorant. This hasn't ever happened with the previous PSU because my only problem before was that the computer would shut down / hibernate randomly.

It doesn't shut down randomly anymore though. The only time it has done it after the PSU change was while playing Valorant. The monitor would shut off but my PC and fans would still be running. My graphics card especially would turn loud. I looked into the temperature and it wasn't high.

Things I have done:
Updated BIOS
Updated Windows 10
Updated AMD drivers
Cleaned my PC

The only thing I've noticed is that my GPU seems to be underperforming as userbenchmark shows.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/33409500

Solution
This was my old PSU:
EVGA 500 B1, 80+ BRONZE 500W Power Supply, 3 Year Warranty, Includes FREE Power On Self Tester 100-B1-0500-KR

This is my new one:
Power Supply 600W Semi Modular 80+ Bronze Certified, GAMEMAX VP-600-M-RGB

Also, I didn't change anything else. Just the power supply.
You didn't get a good power supply. Gamemax are lower quality and it only puts out 40 amps on the +12 volt rail making it 480 watts, not 600. Modern systems use primarily the +12 volt so it's important that the PSU can output close to its total capacity there. A good quality 600W PSU can output 600 watts on the +12 volt rail. Your is somewhat lacking with 480 watts.
Before I switched my power supply, I had problems with my computer randomly shutting down for some reason. Most often when I played games like Valorant. My screen would turn off but my PC would still be running. At one point my PC shut down entirely and couldn't turn back on so I decided to buy a new power supply and my PC was able to turn on again.

However, now for some reason from time to time, my computer would get slow, laggy, and have micro stutters. The stutters and FPS drops happen mostly when playing games. The games aren't even demanding at all because I mostly play only League Of Legends and Valorant. This hasn't ever happened with the previous PSU because my only problem before was that the computer would shut down / hibernate randomly.

It doesn't shut down randomly anymore though. The only time it has done it after the PSU change was while playing Valorant. The monitor would shut off but my PC and fans would still be running. My graphics card especially would turn loud. I looked into the temperature and it wasn't high.

Things I have done:

The only thing I've noticed is that my GPU seems to be underperforming as userbenchmark shows.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/33409500

However, now for some reason from time to time, my computer would get slow, laggy, and have micro stutters.
A total of 1x4GB RAM is not helping things. You need a memory upgrade badly. Your system is probably pagefiling up the wahzoo.

Sep 22, 2020
Nice reply, let me also add it would help if you gave us your system specs. We can't help you if we don't know what you have ya know.🙈💯🤷‍♀️
Ah mb.

PSU:

Motherboard:
ASUS B450 AMD Ryzen 2 Micro ATX Gaming Motherboard AM4 DDR4 HDMI DVI VGA M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 (Prime B450M-A/CSM)

SSD:
ADATA USA Ultimate Su800 128GB 3D Nand 2.5 Inch SATA-III Internal Solid State Drive (ASU800SS-128GT-C)

HDD:
Seagate BarraCuda ST1000DM010 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive Bare Drive - OEM

CPU:
AMD RYZEN 3 2200G Quad-Core 3.5 GHz (3.7 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W YD2200C5FBBOX Desktop Processor

Graphics Card:
MSI VGA Graphic Cards RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC

A total of 1x4GB RAM is not helping things. You need a memory upgrade badly. Your system is probably pagefiling up the wahzoo.

Just ordered RAM, thanks for advice:
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)

Sep 22, 2020
What was your previous PSU make and model?
What is your new PSU make and model?
Did you change absolutely anything else?

This was my old PSU:
EVGA 500 B1, 80+ BRONZE 500W Power Supply, 3 Year Warranty, Includes FREE Power On Self Tester 100-B1-0500-KR

This is my new one:

This was my old PSU:

This is my new one:

You didn't get a good power supply. Gamemax are lower quality and it only puts out 40 amps on the +12 volt rail making it 480 watts, not 600. Modern systems use primarily the +12 volt so it's important that the PSU can output close to its total capacity there. A good quality 600W PSU can output 600 watts on the +12 volt rail. Your is somewhat lacking with 480 watts.

Solution
Sep 22, 2020

Damn, that sucks.

I can still return it, so I'll be doing that. I'm thinking of getting a Corsair TX550M, how does that sound?

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Oh boy I missed that one. 4GB RAM ,, what the fudge cake. Im getting flashbacks from decades ago sighs. Once you get your 16GB RAM Kit I promise you that you will not have any stutter. I mean for petes sake WIndows alone and tray apps takes couple gigabytes so then your left with nothing for the game and it keeps swapping and lags you out. I have no idea how that system of yours only got 4GB stick. No wonder it stutters nad jerky and laggy and what not.🙈💯🙏🤷‍♀️

Reactions: gotemdabdab