May 3, 2017
First of all my rig:

Biostar Group TA970 Motherboard
AMD FX-8320 Processor
Kingston SHFS37A120G SSD
ST1000DM003-1CH162 HDD
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Armor GPU

Hello people,

I've had alot of issues with my FPS in almost all games. Recently I've been playing battlefield 1 and I couldn't bear the lag anymore. I've tried everything software wise and have tried switching from ultra to low video settings in all games, other settings as well but nothing has worked. In BF1 for example the lag would come and go every 30 seconds for about 5-10 seconds and then go back to normal. Temperature wise the only thing going above 60 degrees is my motherboard. I know its a shitty motherboard. I hope you can help me with my problem ASAP because it's driving me crazy!

Kind regards,
Jeremy

Solution
So here are your options

- better cooling. This may not completely reduce the throttling

- undervolting your cpu. The stock voltage is quite high and generates a lot of heat, lowering the voltage will help although you may also need to underclock to get a stable system that doesn't throttle. You can try this for free though, and the next options will cost

- change cpu or change motherboard. Will cost up to $100, less whatever you can sell your old stuff for

- new cpu and new motherboard. A bit more pricey but hey, you can move to a newer platform and enjoy the benefits
Ouch, so close.

If you had an 8320e with a ta970 youd be ok

If you had an 8320 with a ta970 plus youd be ok

But that cpu with that board... You're probably throttling.

Download hwinfo64 and let it run while gaming. If you have 2 monitors stick it on the second one, otherwise game in windowed mode for a bit. Watch the cpu clock, is it dropping from 3.5ghz down to 1.4?

So here are your options

- better cooling. This may not completely reduce the throttling

- undervolting your cpu. The stock voltage is quite high and generates a lot of heat, lowering the voltage will help although you may also need to underclock to get a stable system that doesn't throttle. You can try this for free though, and the next options will cost

- change cpu or change motherboard. Will cost up to $100, less whatever you can sell your old stuff for

- new cpu and new motherboard. A bit more pricey but hey, you can move to a newer platform and enjoy the benefits

Solution

Jeremyvdr

Prominent
May 3, 2017
And what kind of motherboard should I be looking for if you look at my rig? I really don't have the first clue about motherboards and I am trying to keep the cost low. What do you suggest?

Ok, i asked because there was a good deal on a compatible motherboard in the usa thats all. If you have a NL website you buy from i can point you to a cheap board.

So it seems for the biostar board you have to enable 'custom p states' before it will let you adjust the vcore. I'm not really familiar with biostar BIOS.

TRENDING THREADS