Computer FPS lags unless tower is laying down

Sslick

Commendable
May 31, 2016
Please move if this isnt the right section, this is my first post here.

So 2 months ago I was cleaning out my computer with compressed air, dusted off the PSU, GPU fans, and CPU heat sync, and the case in general. I turned my pc back on and started to notice terrible fps lag inside games, making the games unplayable. After tampering with it for hours, I re-seated everything in the PC, and still no bueno. I noticed that the lag goes away when I lay the PC on it's side. Like the case is laying down. But when i turn the computer case upright, standing like it normally should be is when the FPS lag happens. So the other day I went and bought a new GPU, new PSU, and a case just because. I moved the mobo and everything into the new case, installed the new GPU and PSU. It still occurs, i can ONLY play games when my pc is on it's side, does anyone have any idea what could be the cause of this? Please help me. :/

Solution
Your temps are obviously the problem. That's way too high. You should be sitting in the 60s, 70 tops, under load. Are the pushpins all the way in like this. http://techreport.com/r.x/buildguide/pin.jpg You can also look and tell if the heatsink is making good contact on the cpu and see the thermal paste being pulled up when the heatsink is taken off.

Sslick

Commendable
May 31, 2016

The temps of cpu and gpu are fine, a month ago i also applied new thermal paste as well thinking that might have been the issue but it still occured after new thermal paste.

Sslick

Commendable
May 31, 2016

My temps are both at 30 degrees.

Specs are:
I7 3770k (never been OC) cpu
Evga geforce gtx 970 ssc gpu
16gb ripjaw ram
Asrock z77 extreme 4 mobo
Corsair cx750 psu

Heatsink is the standard one that comes with cpu.

I haven't noticed anything loose when i turn it over, i even tried plugging my gpu into the second pci express slot

robax91

Distinguished
I know it sounds annoying, but try taking the mobo out, air dust it and all of the connectors, then make sure to plug everything in firmly (even the PSU cables) and make sure all cables plugged into the mobo are down tight (power plugs, fans, cha jumpers, add-in cards, fan headers, etc). Sometimes you really can fix weird problems just by taking it apart and putting it back together again.

Also, make sure it isn't too close to the wall, or it might recirculate warm air. Make sure your fans are running at appropriate speeds and that you have at least 1 fan for intake and 1 fan for exhaust.

Edit- Check your mobo's manual and make sure you aren't missing any jumpers, I had that problem once and it was a nightmare to diagnose without accidentally noticing it. Also, do you use a HDD or an SSD? Will changing the orientation of just the hard drive change anything? You could have a failing one if it's a HDD, and putting it on its side might help it, but remember that moving an HDD while it's on and spinning can damage it further.

Sslick

Commendable
May 31, 2016

I'm using a SSD currently. I'll go ahead and replace everything tomorrow and see if that works.

Sslick

Commendable
May 31, 2016

Was just testing it, wasn't lagging, but CPU temp went to a max of 101 but stayed roughly at 87 degrees, only running the division.

GPU temps while in game without lagging was a nax if 57.

Of course when im testing the temp it starts working briefly.

Sslick

Commendable
May 31, 2016

i took the heatsink off and remounted it and its still running at the same temps, its the stock heatsink with the i7 3770k. running at 101 in game. and 79-90 out of game.

Sslick

Commendable
May 31, 2016

I just tested the temps from when its standing up to laying down, and when i lay it down the temp goes down 40 degress, it goes down to 60 degrees celcius. Is it possible that the heatsink itself is just dying?

Sslick

Commendable
May 31, 2016

i set the pc on its side again and the temps went from 101 to 55. so now its within safe temps in game, and now i stood my case standing vertically, upright position again and the temps are staying the same, around 53-70 degrees. I think it may be the heatsink itself and contact issues?

Sslick

Commendable
May 31, 2016

yep I made sure that the push pins are all the way in, and when i lifted the heatsink off, some paste was pulled up with it, but it never left a bare spot on the CPU itself, it was always a full layer of paste on it. but it's also not too much paste, when i had put new paste on i only put the size of like a grain of rice. or a BB from a bbgun.

Sslick

Commendable
May 31, 2016

i've remounted in 3 times and made sure all the push pins are in completely, and it's not loose. Do you think the fan itself could be going bad?

USAFRet

Titan

Does the fan spin?

Sslick

Commendable
May 31, 2016

yes the fan spins

USAFRet

Titan

Then the fan is not 'bad'.
So...what do you think it is?

Sslick

Commendable
May 31, 2016

I'm not sure hence why im asking here. Do you guys think its a connection issue, or a mobo issue? or the heatsink in general. Should I just go by the evo 212 by coolermaster since it's cheap and it should fix it?

Sslick

Commendable
May 31, 2016

what should they be at?