[SOLVED] Computer freeze on boot up.

Jul 1, 2020
I built a gaming PC about 2 months ago, and everything worked great out of the box. I was able to install and play games such as Overwatch, Counter Strike, and Valorant. I had great performance with low temps in most games, but to maybe step it up, I installed 2 exhaust fans. About a week after the 2 extra fans were installed my computer just refused to boot one day. The little loading gif with the spinning dots froze completely and I could not get into my PC. I then posted on these forums about my issue and was told my PSU was not suited for the amount of fans I had. I simply unplugged 2 fans and it worked like new afterwards. Fast forward a week and the same issue happens again. The loading gif freezing on the MOBO splash screen locked me out of my computer. I then noticed that my GPU fans were on the moment I pressed the power button. This made me think that my GPU drivers were messed up, so I used the windows recovery environment ‘system restore’ and restored to a few days ago. This worked, but the next day the exact same problem AGAIN. GPU fans spinning on boot up, and freezing on MOBO splash screen. This time however, the system restore was unsuccessful and now I’m stuck locked out of my PC.

Any help would be appreciated, and I’m not super fluent in all the computer terminology.

Specs
CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz
MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX AM4 AMD B450 SATA 6Gb/s
GPU: XFX RX 5600 XT THICC II PRO 6GB GDDR6 BOOST UP TO 1620 MHz 3xDP HDMI
PSU: CORSAIR TX-M Series TX550M CP-9020133-NA 550W ATX12V v2.4 / EPS v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Semi-Modular Power Supply
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4
Storage: WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal SSD
Case: Fractal Design Focus G Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
CPU cooler: stock
Fans: 2 stock case fans, 2 120mm rosewill red LED fans
(I unplugged the 2 rosewill fans)

Thank you for your time!

Solution
OK so your starting to see the many issues that can arise due to bad drivers. corrupted system files or programs. I have encountered some of those you have reported and there are many more. You can try uninstalling all the drivers that have yellow triangles and allow the system to reboot and reload those afending drivers however if problems persist then frustration will most likely lead to an OS fresh install. Depends on how much time you want to take trying to rectify the issues.

Did you do an SFC /SCANNOW as requested ? to check your system32 files. ??

“Generic PnP Monitor” or code 31 may just need to be uninstalled and the correct driver will reinstall on reboot or obtained from the manufacturers site.

Much information can be...
Although this is not guaranteed to be a fix, You should consider the possibility that your windows is corrupted due to a virus or Malware or a device driver not functional.

Try to boot into safe mode or do a system repair.
To get into Safe Mode, completely powering down the computer. turn it back on and spam the F8 key as it boots. You'll see the Advanced Boot Options screen where you can launch Safe Mode from.
You can also select “Repair Your Computer” and run startup repair.

Try this first and see how you go. Please report back

Jul 1, 2020
The startup repair did not work, it was loading for awhile but after it restarted the same issue happened. I am able to get into safe mode, but I’m not sure what to do from there.

OK you are able to load windows in safe mode and that tells me the problem is not a windows issue per say and the problem is also not caused by your computer hardware. If the system works well in safe mode then for sure either a program or a device driver is the issue after windows starts.

There are several things you can try when in safe mode.

1. Check in Device Manager. If there are yellow triangles in any categories then you have a driver issue. Try to update any driver that is suspect. You must use Safe mode with Networking to access the Internet in Safe mode.

2. Should all drivers appear to be updated without any errors and problems persist then try using "SFC /SCANNOW" without the quotation marks in an elevated command prompt. This will interrogate your windows files for any errors or corruption and attempt to fix them.

Should problems persist then wipe your hard drive and do a fresh install of the operating system. (A pain i know) Don't forget to backup any important files.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020
In the device manager, there are a few caution triangles under “Generic PnP Monitor”, “Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth”, as well as “AMD High definition audio device”. Under the device status, it says:

Status is not available for this device when Windows is running in Safe Mode.

When I check for driver updates, it says that I have the latest drivers installed. There is one more triangle under “Microsoft hyper-V virtualization infrastructure driver”, where it says under the device status:

This device is not working properly because windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful .

When I go to the driver tab to check for updates, I am told I have the latest updates installed.

OK so your starting to see the many issues that can arise due to bad drivers. corrupted system files or programs. I have encountered some of those you have reported and there are many more. You can try uninstalling all the drivers that have yellow triangles and allow the system to reboot and reload those afending drivers however if problems persist then frustration will most likely lead to an OS fresh install. Depends on how much time you want to take trying to rectify the issues.

Did you do an SFC /SCANNOW as requested ? to check your system32 files. ??

“Generic PnP Monitor” or code 31 may just need to be uninstalled and the correct driver will reinstall on reboot or obtained from the manufacturers site.

Much information can be googled regarding drivers and where to obtain a particular manufactures web site.

Last edited:
Solution
Jul 1, 2020
I tried uninstalling all the ones with the yellow triangles and restarting, but there was no success there. I then tried to use the command prompt to SFC/SCANNOW, and after I did that it began a verification scan of sorts, then said
“ Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.”
I then proceeded to do a clean install of windows through the recovery environment. After like an hour or two of resetting the PC, it began to install windows and the GPU fans are going CRAZY fast. Like I have never heard them so loud before. After a few seconds of ‘getting things ready’ my pc black screens.

You have chosen to clean install your OS so we need to concentrate on the following.

Normally a clean install should have fixed the issue so maybe your installation media (USB or disc ) is faulty.?
Try with a different USB using the media creation tool obtained from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/software-download/windows10

Once you have the OS installed and working then you should do a "chkdsk /f" from an elevated command prompt in case there is an issue with your SSD. This command will fix file system errors. As you have an SSD it would be good to use a S.M.A.R.T tool to check the health of the drive.

Control of your fans is normally done in MSI Bios. Scroll thru the sub menus and find "Fan speed control"

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020
That makes sense, I just tried to use the recovery environment “reset this pc” to reinstall windows and clean the drive. If I use the media creation tool and get a fresh copy from usb, will I need to buy a new copy of windows? Or can I somehow access another copy of windows at no extra cost.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020
I formatted my SSD and have the USB as well. When asked where I want to install Windows it gives me 4 partitions. All of them say that “Windows can’t be installed on Drive 0 partition X”.

Jul 1, 2020
Nevermind! I found a thread that solved it, and I was able to install windows properly. Although I now run into a problem setting my pc back up. After I install all windows updates and go to install drivers for my graphics card, when it prompts a restart, I’m back to square one. The loading gif freezes on the MOBO screen. Luckily this time I am at least able to system restore to before I installed the drivers. Maybe I installed the wrong drivers? I have no clue at this point. Thank you for your patience.

Yea, basically you need 4 partitions for Windows to work properly and i'ts quite a normal part of EUFI installation. Here is more detailed info when doing a clean nstall: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

It would seem the graphics driver causes issues and I remember Radeon having black screen issues with their drivers.
Here is a link to a thread regarding these issues: https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/radeon-rx-5700-drivers-black-screen-fix .

I'm an Nvidia user so was not fully aware of the above issues,

Go here for the latest fix and Adrenalin 2020 edition 20.2.2 highlights.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-2-2

Glad to here your Windows installation went well.

Last edited: