Computer freeze random Windows 10

aegzorandre

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
Recenty I started to get random freezes. Both ingame and while doing other stuff.
When it happens everything stops working and the screen freezes and only thing to do is press restart button.
First off, I'm not 100% sure Windows 10 is the issue. But I never had any issues when doing Windows 7.
On the other hand I recently upgraded my build with new graphic card, monitor and some extra fans.

With that said, I show my build below:

Motherboard: Asus Maximus V gene(updated latest drivers)
CPU: Intel 3570K(not clocked atm)
CPU cooler: Scythe mugen
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB 1600MHz
Graphic card: ASUS GeForce GTX1080 Strix A Gaming (updated latest nvidia drivers)
Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q
PSU: 700W. Dont know brand.

As I said I just upgraded my build. Im using this case:

https://postimg.org/image/hwb3jthd5/

https://postimg.org/image/7ndujsu6p/

What pictures doesnt says is I also have three LED fans in the top of case. Three LED fans in the front and one in back. Front blowing into case, top upwards and back out from the case as in pictures. In the same time I also changed the fans on the CPU cooler so they are also LED fans. The front fan on cooler blows into the CPU and the back cooloer blows out to the backfan of the case.
So now I have total 9 LED fans in the case.

Here is one part that might be the problem. Maybe the CPU is getting to hot this way. Should I change the back fan of the cooler so that it blows into the CPU instead?

Or another problem if the PSU is not strong enough supporting all fans? I dont know if LED fans is alot of power consuming?

Beside of this I tried uninstalling the graphic drivers and reinstall but doesnt solve.

I also updated BIOS and Windows 10.

I made a clean install of Windows two months ago.
Previous I had Windows 7 and got the free upgrade to Windows 10.
So when I made the clean install I installed Windows 7 from cd and then followed this link wich I got from a Microsoft staff:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=822784

Don't know if the SSD is the problem. But when I made the clean install I used the "empty partition" on the drive so that everything wiped out.

I hope that someone here have the solution for this :(

Solution
Solved!

It was actually my damn corsair DDR3 memories that were broken.
I put in my old G.Skill ripjaws memory and the computer havent froze one single time and I've been playing around 20 hours now.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you find out what PSU you have?

Can you download HW Info and run it while using PC to see what temps you get at idle and in game - also look at the voltages

So 3 intakes on front are blowing in and 4 exhaust fans (3 on top, one at back) + PSU (Possibly)+ the strix if temps over 40C (I assume its like mine). That creates negative air pressure (how dusty does it get inside case?). My case has 3 inlets and only 2 exhaust fans, positive air flow blows all the hot air out of case. I don't think you need all of them on top.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8EN3K-eaVA"][/video]

It could be the top intakes air gets sucked out the top out take fan before it actually does anything

Are the intakes filtered? that would stop some dust

enough about heat, can you also run the free version of http://www.memtest86.com/ on your ram as it can cause freezes too. It makes a bootable USB. Anymore than 0 errors is too many, test 1 stick at a time

aegzorandre

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
Thanks for answer.

But why do I get an negative ariflow with this setup?
I have the intake in the front and outake in top and the back. Please watch my picture nr 2 I attached.
Only difference is the extra two fans on the CPU cooler sctyhe mugen. I have one in the front blowing in and one in the back blowing out. The front fan gets the airflow from the intake fans in the front of the case. And the back fan of the cpu cooler is almost postiioned rirght next to the backfan of the case so cpu cooler blowing out and back case fan blowing out.

Also, for your question. I have dustfilter in the front. I used it for two months and I took a look on it some days ago and it was clean.

The other parts you mention download HW info and Memtest 86, I will try those out on Sunday and give you feedback.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i read it twice and had wrong idea first time so doesn't surprise me I got it wrong again. I looked at the picture

3 intakes in front
3 exhausts on top
1 exhaust on back
possible psu fan though it may not work unless PSU working hard

Is that right? Its how I read it? (am tired, i may read it better in morning)

more exhaust than intake = negative pressure = air outside case tries to get back in again through any manner possible
more intake than exhaust causes positive pressure = blows hot air out of case. Only way into case for dust then is the intakes

I suspect the dust filter wasn't dirty as air has plenty other ways back into case

Heat may not be cause, thats why I suggested the other test :)

aegzorandre

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
Ok now I need help from the community again.

I thought I actually solved my issue by replacing my old PSU with a new 850W gold. I was able to play Civ VI for about 4 hours without any problem and some other stuff like doing the internet etc. But yesterday I played Total War: Warhammer and after about 2 hours the PC froze again!

Rebooted and started to do some searches and then the computer froze again.
This time I also got bluescreen with the stopcode: DPC_Wathdog_Violation.
I amde some serached regarding this code and it apperas it can be anything! It can be Windows, it can be the ram, it can be virus, it can be the cpu...I dont get how I ever can solve this issue.
Can it be the CPU? It's over 4 years old now and the last thing along with my motherboartd that isnt replaced in the last year.

Also, I ran the Memtest86 yesterday. I elft it for an hour and it made 2 passes but I read on the internet that you can leave it over the night or longer.
So I turned off my monitor and went to bed and this morning I had hoped to get an answer. The computer were still running the the screen were just black showing nothing. So was it fault with the memory or why didn't I see anything?

If noone have any more feedback I guess I have to reinstall windows(again). But after that, I'm really out of options if it doesnt work.

aegzorandre

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
Another update. When I did play the game yesterday and tabed out to windows and went do some searches on the internet. I actually got an popup something similar this: "To low memory. Please stop some programs to free some space"

Is this an indication that the memory is broken? I bought the two new 8gb corsair memories about 4 months ago.

I really would like to get an answer on this and my previous question.

aegzorandre

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
Solved!

It was actually my damn corsair DDR3 memories that were broken.
I put in my old G.Skill ripjaws memory and the computer havent froze one single time and I've been playing around 20 hours now.

Solution

aegzorandre

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
Hey Colif, do you know alot about PSU?
I have another issue now, hehe.

Listen to this below video. My PSU(and yes it is the PSU, Ive actually located the sound source and its not coming from the GPU)sound like this when entering games wich requires high rendering.
For example, it doesnt make this sound when starting computer, and not when entering the game Total War: Warhammer and comes to the main menu. But as soon I enter the game it start making this sound.

Should I start a new topic for this or do you know what it mihgt be?

https://vid.me/zAx6

Colif

Win 11 Master
what brand/model PSU is it?

It could be the PSU fan as it may only use it when PSU is above a certain temp. Many PSU now do that, the fan won't be on unless its needed. Many run passively. I know mine does.

I will see what i can find from brand but otherwise i will suggest you start a new thread about it in Power Supply forums.

aegzorandre

Commendable
Aug 24, 2016
It is no brand Colif. Actually a samle but with the specs 850W gold.
Guess I have to replace it with a new one.
I was just curoius what the sound came from but it must be the fans then as you describe.

No easy way to fix it right?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would buy a brand name one instead, from one of the manufacturers on tier 2 or 3 here - not necessarily the models but the manufacturers listed generally have good PSU: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

If you buy a good PSU it won't kill other parts along the way. It will also actually supply the watts it says it can (as some no name brands don't even get close, or can blow up trying) and will be more efficient while it does it, saving power and money.