Question Computer freezes after I quit a game

Oct 9, 2022
Hey

Lately, my computer has started freezing up whenever I quit a game. Doesn't seem to matter what the game is or how long I've played. It doesn't happen every time, for example the last time it froze was today, but the time before that was about 5-6 days ago. The very first time it happened was months ago, and it never happened again until recently. It has never frozen during gameplay, always like 2-3 minutes after I stop playing. I've also had my computer to reboot itself randomly a few times, but that seems to be gone for now.

Things I've tried/checked:

• Uninstalled GPU drivers with DDU and reinstalled them
  • Reset BIOS to factory settings
  • Ran the Windows memory test, no errors (Yes I know that memtest would be better, but I don't have any external media on hand right now to create a boot disk for it)
  • Ran sfc /scannow
  • Check the temperatures, GPU and CPU temps go highest, to around 75-82c when playing something graphically intensive.
  • Nothing relevant in Windows event viewer
  • No blue screens
  • No overclocks on anything

My system:

Win 10 64 bit
GPU: RTX 3060ti
CPU: Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard: ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming
RAM: 2x 8 GB Kingston HyperX Predator 3200 MHz
Power: Fractal Design Ion+ Platinum 760W
Hard drives: Kingston SA1000 M2 disk and a Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM006

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I've also had my computer to reboot itself randomly a few times,
That's an indication of one of two things. Either you've got a PSU that's having trouble powering your platform or you're having a thermal/overheating issue. Perhaps try and borrow a similarly built reliable PSU with slightly more wattage and see if the issue persists. How old is your PSU?

Reset BIOS to factory settings
Which BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? What version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you on?

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Oct 9, 2022
Windows version is 21H2. The PSU is around 1,5 years old, I bought it in the spring of 2021 along with all the other components, except the hard drives, they are a bit older. My BIOS version is 1805. But if the problem is overheating or the PSU not providing enough juice, shouldn't all the freezing and rebooting happen when the power draw and temps are at the peak (i.e when I'm playing something) and not after I stop playing?

Last edited:
Windows version is 21H2. The PSU is around 1,5 years old, I bought it in the spring of 2021 along with all the other components, except the hard drives, they are a bit older. My BIOS version is 1805. But if the problem is overheating or the PSU not providing enough juice, shouldn't all the freezing and rebooting happen when the power draw and temps are at the peak (i.e when I'm playing something) and not after I stop playing?
Hey there,

Not necessarily. Whilst these random shutdown typically happen at load, they can also happen at low loads. It could be the PSU.

It's a bit on the low side for a 5800x/3060ti combo. Whilst technically a 550w will do, a CX isn't the way to go there. Maybe a TXM, RM 650 would allow a little headroom.

Reactions: Lutfij
Oct 9, 2022
Hey there,

Not necessarily. Whilst these random shutdown typically happen at load, they can also happen at low loads. It could be the PSU.

It's a bit on the low side for a 5800x/3060ti combo. Whilst technically a 550w will do, a CX isn't the way to go there. Maybe a TXM, RM 650 would allow a little headroom.

The PSU I have is 760w, so it should have enough headroom, I think?

You have BIOS updates pending.

except the hard drives, they are a bit older.
Did you reinstall your OS when you finished your platform migration/upgrade? Might want to also see if your Kingston SSD is pending any firmware updates.

I was lazy and I did not reinstall the OS back then :sweatsmile:.
Gonna check on those the SSD firmware updates.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You're advised to reinstall your OS after a motherboard change, regardless of chipset/platform(Intel or AMD). Recreate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools and then see if the issue persists. Do that after you've checked if there's any firmware updates for your Kingston SSD. You're actually going about things in the wrong order with the older OS on a new platform(i.e, not reinstalling your OS).

An used/aged PSU will output less power than what it did when brand new, which is why that can and will be a point of concern. The RTX 3000 series do tend to have transient loads, which is also why a headroom from your PSU is a good thing to have.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Oct 9, 2022
You're advised to reinstall your OS after a motherboard change, regardless of chipset/platform(Intel or AMD). Recreate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools and then see if the issue persists. Do that after you've checked if there's any firmware updates for your Kingston SSD. You're actually going about things in the wrong order with the older OS on a new platform(i.e, not reinstalling your OS).

An used/aged PSU will output less power than what it did when brand new, which is why that can and will be a point of concern. The RTX 3000 series do tend to have transient loads, which is also why a headroom from your PSU is a good thing to have.

Well there were no firmware updates available for the SSD, at least according to KSM. Gonna try reinstalling the OS when I get the chance.