Computer freezes after installing new graphics card

theperfectname

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
I just installed my 770 gtx asus graphics card and when ever I play a game within 30 minutes my computer crashes causing a annoying loop noise and my screen goes black. This has also happened before I installed my new graphics card but its just more frequent now. I have looked everywhere to find a solution and I couldn't find one. I don't know if its my Motherboard, Graphics card or my CPU.

Edit: It also crashes when I'm just casually using it, the screen just goes black. I think it might be my CPU getting overheated because I have liquid cooling that you can't change the liquid.

my specs are:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
RAM: 2x 4GB DDR3 G.Skill
GPU: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 770
PSU: 700 watt
Case: Cooler Master Mid tower

theperfectname

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013

oh sorry I forgot to add that.
I have 700 watt PSU and I heard that the GPU requires a 600 watt PSU, so I should be fine with that.

deadmaufive

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2013
yeah a 700w is way more than enough juice. I'd check your temps to make sure everything is running cool. If everything is running good though, the only other issue I could possibly fathom is a short in your motherboard.

theperfectname

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
I'm pretty sure it was my CPU overheating because I could smell something burning and my liquid cooling pipes were extremely hot. So I'm just gonna replace my stock liquid cooling with a cooler master fan and see if that works.

theperfectname

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
My computer is 5 years old and I'm just starting to replace some parts so I don't know when things eventually die or what not, but is it possible that the CPU could be damaged or my motherboard being defective?how would you go about checking the PSU? Thank you for your help by the way. I really appreciate it.