Question Computer Freezes after POST

May 10, 2020
Recently I haven't been able to boot from my computer it on any operating system (Windows 7, Windows 10, Arch Linux (live usb), Ubuntu Linux - all 64 bit) except Windows 7 safe mode. On Windows 7 normally, it gets partway through the "loading windows" screen (e.g. the colors move) and then freezes, no response from power button or reset switch, no error codes or beeps after POST. On the others it just displays a black screen after posting past the BIOS. I have tried isolating the computer to the integrated graphics and mobo, still the same issue. I've underclocked it, made sure secure boot was off (and on), replaced PSUs, and ran it without a CMOS battery. There are no drive issues (chkdsk), the ram is fine (memtest86), and I've tried every variation of display driver installations in safe mode (w/ DDU). It'll run the BIOS, and everything looks fine in there, and nothing had been changed from before it wasn't working to now. I don't even have XMP on. I'm not sure what exactly isn't working. I realize it's getting a bit old, but it feels a bit premature to die already. Thanks for any help you can give!

PC Specs:
  • CPU: Intel 4790k
  • Memory: 2x8gb DDR3-1600 CL10 HyperX
  • Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC FORCE
  • PSU: EVGA 750GQ (750W 80+ Gold)
  • GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming
BIOS Revision F8 (latest)

No issues with anything you've done so far, but what about physically removing one of the ram sticks? Try booting up and if still no luck, swap in the other stick running solo?

If that proves fruitless, can you get a picture of the motherboard inside the case? Post it up on any sharing site you wish like imgur and link here.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
Well it seems to lock up when the BIOS initializes the HD - so probably not a memory issue. Isn't Win7 safe mode initialized by the BIOS and not UEFI? So would seem to be UEFI info corruption on HD...

From your picture, nothing appears out of the ordinary (I was actually looking for any electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard to see if they had blown, but they either look fine, or they are solid capacitors that don't have that issue), but I did want to note that once this is fixed, your RAM should be installed in the two orange slots on the motherboard for best performance when using only 2 sticks.

Have you tried swapping in a different SSD? If you don't have a spare SSD available, perhaps an older spinning hard drive? Re-reading over your posts so far, I don't believe you have mentioned swapping the drive out yet. Could be an issue with that Kingston SSD.

TRENDING THREADS