Computer Freezes alittle

wildgene789

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
Alright I just built a beast computer in my eyes and it freezes a little.

**Problem**
at times when im just using basic computer usage like firefox, aim and searchin through my computer stuff it freezes. Now i think it might be that my hard drive is to slow.

**Specs**
AMD Phenom II x4 940 BE OC @ 3.6GHz
Asus M3N-HT Deluxe Mobo
4 GB Ram at 800mhz
250 gb hd 7200rpm
gtx285
600 watt PSU

Please let me know what you think because im thinking its because of AMD since this is my first amd cpu.

wildgene789

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008

I thought about that but it's also when
I'm like browsing my external harddrive and **** it jus randomy freezes for a second or two and it pisses me off my dell didn't even do this

Don't start blaming it on Vista. My backup rig with a 2.8GHz P4 and 1GB of RAM is running Vista without freezes like this.

It sounds like you're probably on the right track with the RAM or HD. Did you do a fresh install of Windows on this build? Did you manually set the RAM timings and voltage to the manufacturers specs in the BIOS? Have you run memtest86+ for a few hours to test for RAM errors? What is the exact model of RAM you're using? We need a little more than "4 GB Ram at 800mhz".

wildgene789

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
alright lemme try and answer everyone first id like to say thank you in advance but back to problem alright yes i am running vista
PSU is a ULTRA LS600 600W ATX POWER SUPPLY
Harddrive is WD Caviar 250GB SATA HD 7200/8MB/SATA-3G
No i have not run memtest86

I dont know how to set the voltage to my dimms i think its auto
I defrag with diskeeper and clean with ccleaner almos every week

yes i have the latest and greatest lol

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I'm starting to think it's the hard drive, I know my brother had a 250GB Western Digital, that had all sorts of odd issues.

While hosting a COD4 server it would cause lag spikes for those playing on the server.

Installing Steam, and games running through it would literally corrupt the operating system and files.

**And this was checked by switching out stuff, these problems were only fixed when the Games were installed on a 40GB backup drive instead.

But definitely check with Memtest86, I have 3 sets of those Corsair DIMM's that I haven't had problems with, but it's worth a try.

Also check the stability of that OC, it could be a slight instability, use Prime95 for 6 hours+ usually over 12 and you won't have any problems in the long run. But Vista and your hardware combination is always a possibility, given that the Phenom II is still rather new.

wildgene789

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
Alright heres wat happened i booted to memtest and seletect option 1 and it started for a couple seconds then computer shutdown i think that might be a sign lol