Question Computer freezes and monitors have no signal, GPU led also freezes.

Halo11702

Reputable
Sep 17, 2016
I've been having this problem for awhile and I thought it wasn't that big of an issue because it only happened about once a week. But now it happens all the time. It does not matter what I'm doing it just randomly crashes. Both monitors go black, the led lights on my GPU freeze at white/light purple. The power button does nothing even when held down, I have to unplug it and wait for the power to drain out then plug it back in. If I plug it back in before the power is drained, the power button still doesn't work.

Thought maybe it was my overclock on my CPU but that didn't change anything. Also for some reason when I plugged my ram in for the first time it was set to 2666mhz when Its actually 3200mhz. I turned on D.O.C.P and manually set it to 3200mhz without changing the voltage of anything. While stressing the memory it does not crash though so I dont think thats the issue.

Edit : Now I am having even more issues. Every time I play a vr game either the pc freezes, crashes like before, restarts randomly, game crashes, or the fps just drops to 5fps and I get this SteamVR Fail error -203. I looked up Steam vr -203 and I cant find anything on it. Steam support just keeps telling me to reinstall and it will fix everything which it doesnt so they are no help. I am getting so frustrated at this point. I as testing today and I would start vr and it would crash. So I just kept opening it and watched everything going on in HW Monitor and everything seemed fine. After 3 times of crashing games the pc restarted, then after booting gave me that black screen crash again. If someone could please help me that would be AMAZING.

Specs:
Ryzen 1700 OC - 3.8GHZ
Asus strix GTX 1080
Asus B350-F Strix Motherboard
Corsair 2x8gb 3200mhz PRO
4x 1TB Western Digital Black
1x240gb SSD Kingston (Boot Drive)
4xRGB Uphere Fans.
NZXT H500
EVGA 650W Gold

Last edited:

Halo11702

Reputable
Sep 17, 2016
Check motherboard for capacitors. If it's fine, i assume PSU is going down.
I was checking the motherboard and it looks fine from what I can see. I should also mention that this started happening when I bought my 1080. My 1070 was working just fine, I just wanted some more frames for VR. Thought maybe it could be software related because when it happens the gpu leds freeze on white/light purple for some reason. All the other leds are fine, just the ones on the gpu.

Mar 19, 2019
Well I personally would recommend to check gpu if you still have warranty, and if all that started with a new gpu, otherwise it could be long guessing time that leads nowhere.

Halo11702

Reputable
Sep 17, 2016
Well I personally would recommend to check gpu if you still have warranty, and if all that started with a new gpu, otherwise it could be long guessing time that leads nowhere.
I have a new CPU on the way cause I wanted to see the performance of the 3700x. But i don't have a warranty on this gpu. That's why I'm looking for help to see if its something else that's possibly messing something up.

TRENDING THREADS