Question Computer freezes and reboots while gaming

Cruze13

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
Hey I have been having a problem where I am playing games doesn't matter what game and my computer freezes and reboots or just freezes the game but mostly crashes. So I tried all sorts of things and now down clocked my GPU -100 core clock and it fixes the problem but I really want to run normal clock speeds so i can get better fps. I have tested my GPU on normal clock speeds on Heaven Benchmark and couldn't get it to crash but when ever i play a game it happens with in the first 10 minutes. I cant find out if my GPU is dying or if it could be something else I just need guidance to fix this annoying issue thanks.

Specs:
Windows 10
Motherboard: MSI z97 Gaming 5
Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16gb
GPU: EVGA 780ti Superclocked
CPU: i-7 4790k 4.0ghz
PSU: EVGA 1000 watt supernova G2

Any help and guidance on how to fix this would be great!

Edit: I just updated my BIOS to rule that out still crashes.

Last edited:

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Is it frozen with the game image in the background still, or blue screen?

Run these 2 tools;
Windows Memory Diagnostics
Disk error checking, right click your drive with OS installed on, properties/tools/check

Cruze13

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
Is it frozen with the game image in the background still, or blue screen?

Run these 2 tools;
Windows Memory Diagnostics
Disk error checking, right click your drive with OS installed on, properties/tools/check
50/50 sometimes frozen with game image some times just black screen and reboots. Ill run both those now thanks for your help!

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Now that really does point to GPU or PSU. Have you tried without the 780ti installed/with another card?
If you have a backup PSU to test with that would be great too.

When you say you downclocked the gpu, do you mean it was overclocked to start with by you, or did you reduce it from base?

Cruze13

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
Now that really does point to GPU or PSU. Have you tried without the 780ti installed/with another card?
If you have a backup PSU to test with that would be great too.

When you say you downclocked the gpu, do you mean it was overclocked to start with by you, or did you reduce it from base?
I do not have another gpu or psu to try. Also i reduced it from base clock.