[SOLVED] computer freezes and shutdowns since SSD install

Apr 2, 2020
well a few days i installed SSD i did a fresh windows 10 install on it and now my computer keeps freezing then shutting off randomly sometimes i last 1-2 hours, sometimes its just 10mins. i have tried using my SSD + HDD i get crashes no matter what one boots, ive tried booting with HDD while SSD removed and SSD with HDD unplugged and it still freezes. did my SSD break another part of my computer?
this is the exact names of the parts when i bought them
Intel Core i5-7500 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.4 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80677I57500 Desktop Processor
GIGABYTE GA-B250M-DS3H (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel B250 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD10EZEX - OEM
Rosewill - Micro ATX Mini Tower Computer Case - Dual USB 3.0 Ports, Dual Fans Included, Supports Up to Four (4) Fans and Up to 12.5" VGA Cards - LINE-M
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 Mini, ZT-P10600A-10L, 6GB GDDR5 Super Compact
Corsair Cx Series CX450M 450W Atx 12V 80 Plus Bronze Certified SEMI-MODULAR Power Supply Unit
Crucial 8GB DDR4-2400 UDIMM PC4-19200 CL17 Dual Ranked 1.2V Unbuffered 288PIN Memory

The SSD that was recommended to me was Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
any ideas how to fix this? i already wasted the money on SSD and its going to cost like 25-55$ just to return it
i also went into bios thing at startup and set back to defaults but still no fix :(

Last edited:
Solution
Ok, well, you're not actually listening and following the advice that's being offered so far as I can tell, and this is usually what happens when people don't do that or think they can shortcut the recommended steps.

DDU has nothing to do with ANY drivers except for the display driver and if you choose it, the audio drivers, but they would need to be removed separately, as different procedures. Other drivers, not so much.

If you do NOT have the latest BIOS version, and you NEED to check for that, then you need to update, first. Before you do anything else.

Then, after updating the BIOS, IF it needs to be updated, you will want to install the other drivers.

It may also be that the problem is not with Windows or your hardware, or any...
When you installed Windows, did you have BOTH drives connected at that time? If so, try removing the HDD and reinstalling Windows with ONLY the SSD attached.

Also, you will want to go into the BIOS and change the CSM (Compatibility support module) setting to either disabled or auto, and set Secure boot to enabled or whatever is required for full UEFI mode support in your BIOS. There are slightly different options depending on the brand and platform. Do that BEFORE you do the installation so that it installs as a UEFI installation of Windows rather than a legacy installation. You should not reconnect the other drive to the system until anytime this drive is in use unless and until you wipe the contents of the HDD so that it does not confuse the BIOS by having multiple versions of the Windows boot loader present.

Your SSD did not break another part of your computer. There is either a settings, configuration or installation problem going on almost certainly.

Also, you will want to go to the motherboard product page, download all of the relevant drivers for the motherboard chipset, network adapter and audio devices, and install those, along with installing the correct drivers for your graphics card, after Windows installation is complete.

Apr 2, 2020
when i installed windows 10 on SSD i did have the HDD unplugged, i found my gigabite app center and i did a bios update/"flash"? whatever that is and left my computer on overnight to download cod mw the last 2 times i did that my computer froze overnight but it seems to be fine so far, now if i should not connect both at same time how should i go about transfering any files over to avoid another problem. since i did a full wipe on SSD it should be blank again, should i attach it back on and transfer over any games now then install SSD with windows 10?
im going to leave my computer on while at work and for the rest of the day to see if it still fine

How big are the game files you need to save?

If they will be able to fit temporarily on the SSD then I'd recommend that you unplug the HDD that they are on, do a clean install of Windows on the SSD, then shut down and reconnect the HDD and transfer your game files to a temporary folder on the SSD. Next, using disk management or a third party partition tool, remove all the existing partitions on the HDD including the hidden boot and EFI partitions, IF it will boot Windows with no problem with both drives attached. It might, or it might not. If it does, do that, and then create a new partition on the HDD after you've removed the existing partitions, which will of course remove everything from that drive so be sure you've backed up anything important on it that can't be replaced to another location first. Then format the new partition and then transfer your game files back to the HDD if that is where you want for them to live.

Apr 2, 2020
i had no problems after i did the bios thing so i decided to try SSD again, i didnt bother transferring any files over, i just decided to unplug HDD and do fresh w10 install, i havnt plugged HDD back in so far.
i downloaded a few games lots of updates no problems untill i played Call of duty MW, my computer freezes after playing the game for about 6 mins or so, seems this SSD is causing me nothing but trouble :(

It's possible, but it's just as possible that it's BECAUSE you did a clean install and have not yet installed the correct drivers.

If there are any steps listed here that you have not already done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First,

make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second,

go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

Third,

Make sure your memory is running at the correct advertised speed in the BIOS. This may require that you set the memory to run at the XMP profile settings. Also, make sure you have the memory installed in the correct slots and that they are running in dual channel which you can check by installing CPU-Z and checking the Memory and SPD tabs. For all modern motherboards that are dual channel memory architectures, from the last ten years at least, if you have two sticks installed they should be in the A2 (Called DDR4_1 on some boards) or B2 (Called DDR4_2 on some boards) which are ALWAYS the SECOND and FOURTH slots over from the CPU socket, counting TOWARDS the edge of the motherboard EXCEPT on boards that only have two memory slots total. In that case, if you have two modules it's not rocket science, but if you have only one, then install it in the A1 or DDR4_1 slot.

The last thing we want to look at,

for now anyhow, is the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

Apr 2, 2020
well i have all the correct updates and i looked on motherboard it says its in slot ddr4_1.
i am going to use the Display Driver Uninstaller utility i guess.
i played starcraft 2 and diablo 3 for a hour each no crashes at all, it could be call of duty mw is somehow causing my computer to just freeze and force me to turn off power
at this point im kinda feeling like ill have to just remove the SSD and plug in HDD anytime i want to play cod mw lol

What do you mean by "all the correct updates"? Are you using the Windows supplied hardware drivers or have you manually GONE to the motherboard product page and downloaded and then installed the manufacturer specific drivers for your hardware?

Have you checked to see if you have the most recent BIOS version installed? Because that ALONE might be the entire cause of the problems with your SSD.

The SSD itself shouldn't have anything to do with that game. Although it is possible that you might need to point the game loader to the correct location for the files if the drive letters have changed since you had it installed previously.

Apr 2, 2020
i opened the gigabyte app center that is used to update bios it has all the same drivers listed on site to download.
but since i used the ddu program to remove everything ill download 1 at a time from site this time just to see if it helps
edit: downloaded and installed them the game still keeps freezing computer 5mins in... :( , i guess SSD is just not strong enough to run cod mw?
i am just glad my computers not freezeing randomly anymore and its down to just 1 problem
edit 2: i removed my SSD and plugged HDD in and call of duty mw freezes still so i have no idea anymore

Last edited:
Ok, well, you're not actually listening and following the advice that's being offered so far as I can tell, and this is usually what happens when people don't do that or think they can shortcut the recommended steps.

DDU has nothing to do with ANY drivers except for the display driver and if you choose it, the audio drivers, but they would need to be removed separately, as different procedures. Other drivers, not so much.

If you do NOT have the latest BIOS version, and you NEED to check for that, then you need to update, first. Before you do anything else.

Then, after updating the BIOS, IF it needs to be updated, you will want to install the other drivers.

It may also be that the problem is not with Windows or your hardware, or any drivers, at all. Perhaps the problem is with your game files or installer or something related that is either corrupted or not configured correctly.

Could also simply be a faulty graphics card. Have you even TRIED any other games to see if you have similar problems?

Solution