Intel i7 4790
Thermal Take NIC C5 cpu cooler
MSI z97 Sli krait edition
16 gb 1600 mhz ddr3 patriot viper 3 ram
PNY 240 gb CS2100 ssd
Nvidia gtx 780
Corsair 750 watt psu
Windows 8.1 64 bit

I put the computer together and installed windows 8.1 just fine. Booted it up, updated windows and drivers, then after it had been running for a while the screen froze while I was playing the Witcher 3. Audio continued but screen fully locked. I rebooted and the computer booted to UEFI shell. I exited UEFI shell and computer went to bios. Bios showed that I had no ssd drive plugged in. I reset bios and computer rebooted fine to windows. However after running the computer for a few hours the same thing happened. I repeated the above steps and computer ran for a few more hours and same thing AGAIN. Doesn't matter if I'm playing games, browsing the Internet or doing nothing at all, computer freezes after a while but audio continues (Netflix will literally keep playing a shows audio with a frozen screen), reboot, no ssd, reset bios, reboot, sign in to windows, be happy for a bit, computer crashes, proceed to rage, repeat over and over.

I've tried a clean install of windows 8.1, tried reinstalling all drivers and nothing helps. Does anyone have any ideas before I drop this pile of crap out my window?

Dizzo13

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
The computer isn't running slowly, in fact when its running its incredibly fast. But my ssd stops being read after the computer either sits idle for a while or is under heavy task load, the screen freezes but audio continues and you can move the mouse. Also the led ssd indicator stops blinking every time this happens. You have to reboot and sometimes the computer boots to UEFI shell and I have to reset bios to get it to boot from the ssd again and other times it just reboots back to windows like nothing happened only to repeat the problem later. Your post just optimizes your computer to not run slowly

Dizzo13

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
I'll upload event viewer after work. I ran mem check last night and RAM checked out. I also tried running chkdsk in cmd. Chkdsk ran up to 11 percent and then hung there for about 5 minutes before rebooting without completing the scan and windows didn't give the results of chkdsk on reboot. Dunno if that means anything but thanks for the help so far.