Computer freezes at star screen

kallomaister1

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
So today I tried overclocking my PC (which was a huge mistake) because now my computer freezes on the screen where the motherboard brand shows up. My CPU is an old AMD fx-8350, it was base clocked at 4,0 ghz and I increased it to 4,8. I don't know what I was thinking because thats a huge increase and I don't know anything about overclocking this was completely my own stupidity. But if someone could help me out and tell me how to get back into BIOS I would be able to reset the settings.

If you need more information I provide it.

Solution

Good. You need to do a CMOS rest, this will clear all your BIOS defaults back to normal.

If you are going to OC, research your mobo/CPU combo, and read, read and read some more. Get familiar with what you are doing. It can be worth while. But just dialling in settings is why it's crashed. Those older mobo's often don't have a BIOS reset after a bad OC. Some do, but not all. Take it slow and move it up in small increments testing along the way.

edit: BTW, I'm sure every one of us posters on Tom's have tried...

kallomaister1

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
Okay, I looked on some other threads and saw a guy suggesting to remove some of the ram sticks so I removed all except one and was able to access the boot menu and decrease the frequency. I can now normally boot to windows!

Good. You need to do a CMOS rest, this will clear all your BIOS defaults back to normal.

If you are going to OC, research your mobo/CPU combo, and read, read and read some more. Get familiar with what you are doing. It can be worth while. But just dialling in settings is why it's crashed. Those older mobo's often don't have a BIOS reset after a bad OC. Some do, but not all. Take it slow and move it up in small increments testing along the way.

edit: BTW, I'm sure every one of us posters on Tom's have tried and failed with their first OC, or even a few times after that ;) That's normal. Don't let it deter you. I've made many mistakes and nearly panicked thinking I'd bricked my machines/s, but thankfully unless a person does something completely stupid most bad OC's are recoverable.

Solution