Computer freezes but sound still continues while gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

lautrec-karim

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016
Hello guys, it's my first time posting here, sorry if say something in the wrong or that sort of thing.
So let's go to the problem:

I've recently build a PC Gaming Rig. I've done everything as it's said to be and everything worked really fine. One week ago the 1Tb 7.2K HDD that I used for everything turned to RAW instead of NTFS before it passed out, so I've bought a brand new Sandisk SSD for Windows and programs and installed an old 250Gb HDD for games and personal stuff.
Everything worked fine with the 1Tb HDD, I've bought The Witcher 3 from GOG and was hitting 30 hours of gameplay. No high temperatures since the Seidon 120V was more than enough. My GPU was running at a max of 70 Celsius.
When I switched to the SSD everything was fine too, I reinstalled The Witcher 3 and downloaded other games: Mirror's Edge Catalyst, DOOM (Reboot) and Project CARS. But I founded myself in a problem that I can't find a way to solve.
When I lauch these games I play for like 5-10min and then the screen freezes completely but the sound still continues in the background. It's not a shortage of memory since the max usage of RAM while playing its like 60%. If I try to minimize the game with Windows+M it doesn't work, if I try to summon Task Manager it doesn't work either. Mouse pointer can't be seem on screen, nothing works. The only thing I can do is turn off my PC either unplugging the power chord or pressing the power button for 10s.
Firstly I tought the problem was with the Samsung 250Gb HDD so I copied the games to the SSD one by one and tested to see if the problem persisted only to see that the problem endured. All of them failed in boot storage devices after 5-10min. I also tried to change the SATA ports with no success. I did chkdsk in both storages, reinstalled the drivers, even did a new clean installation of Windows but the issue continued. I've turned off my internet, added the games to Windows Defender Exceptions and nothing. The problem continued. My parts are brand new so I'm very upset about this since I really want to complete my games during my break from college.

Please help guys.

My PC Build:

Motherboard: ECS H110-C4P (Mini-ITX)
Processor: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7Ghz (Stock)
Memory: 8Gb DDR4 HyperX 2133Mhz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 950 (Stock)
SSD: Sandisk 120Gb 550Mbp/s (Windows+Programs)
HDD: Samsung HD250HJ 250Gb SATA2 (Games+Personal Files)
Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V
PSU: EVGA 400W
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130

Adamjms3

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016
sounds to me like your nvidia driver is crashing; stopping the video from playing but the sound running fine
my first recommendation would be to rollback your nvidia drivers to the last stable version or just use ddu to completely remove the drivers and install them again from the nvidia/geforce website.
You could also play using msi afterburners on screen display and monitor what is happening to your gpu before the driver is crashing and you may have to underclock slightly.
The last thing you should do is go through your event viewer but i do not recommend it as there it can be very hard to figure out which error is actually causing the issue.

lautrec-karim

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016

Thanks man, I'll be looking for this later today. But as I said, my drivers are already the latest stable... Maybe the Windows have reminiscents of the generic drivers it installed I dunno. Soon I'll post here the results of my trying.

Adamjms3

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016

your not using a pcie riser right?

lautrec-karim

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016

Adamjms3

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016

lautrec-karim

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016
Yep, I've tried Ctrl+Alt+Del and nothing. Could the game be failin because my 250gbHD is old and has slow writing and reading speeds?

Mar 29, 2018
Sorry for posting on such an old thread, but I've have been experiencing this exact issue and was wondering if you found a solution, and if so, what did you do? Thanks.

wuba

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
Im having the same problem. Game freezes, unable to move mouse and sounds will play. My parts are less than a year old.

Tomawwk b350 artic recently update the bios but this was happening before.
Rx vega 64
2x8gb corsair venagine 3200mhz
850w corsair psu

Dec 26, 2018
I was having the same problem after installing an ssd and reinstalling windows. My problem was related to the drivers, but not Nvidia's drivers, rather the PCI drivers. If you go to your Device Manager > Systems Devices, you'll find a list of around 8 PCI-related drivers. Update all of them. This fixed the freezing for me.

Dec 27, 2018
I gotta chime in because I had a very similar problem. On mine the sound would go first then the game would freeze. I could 3 finger back to desktop fine. Computer wasn't locked up. I tried everything from drivers to new video card and memory. Spent almost a week on it before I discovered the cause. A bad hard drive in one of my raid arrays. Now it wasnt my game drive either. Just a drive that used up a lot of processor resources at certain times. Almost like putting a CD in mid game. The drive could be used but a speed test showed the problem. Replaced it and good to go. Hope this helps someone. I'm constantly amazed at the causes of some of these issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.