Question Computer freezes completely after a couple minutes

Aug 22, 2020
I’m a complete computer noob, but wanted to upgrade my gaming computer. Just upgraded my CPU to i9900k with a dark rock pro 4 cooler.

My computer randomly freezes after a couple minutes. Never freezes in safe mode. When I start up Fortnite, i’m able to play a full game and Doesnt freeze at all. When I try to launch modern warfare: Warzone, then my whole computer freezes. When I launch my browser and try to browse the web, my whole computer freezes. I’m so lost on what to do =(

Just played 23 minutes of fortnite. Logged off and went onto YouTube for less than a minute and my whole computer froze.

Also just instantly booted Modern Warfare:Warzone and i’m still playing after 25 minutes with no PC freezes. Although Update now, It now completely freezes after 1 or 2 full gamesof Warzone. Haven’t got to play 3 games in a row yet without it completely freezing.

Seasonic gold plus 750w PSU
Geforce gtx 1060 graphics card(waiting for rtx 2070 super in the mail)
Dark rock pro 4 cooler

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020
What speed is your RAM running?
If you right click on the taskbar and select Task Manager, then go to the Performance tab, do you have enough available Memory?

Yeah it says 2.2/15.9 GB (14%)
Ummmm my ram says 3200 on the stick, but my
Mother board only supports up to 2666mhz from what I read. I still have no idea why it freezes.

How bad is it to force shut up my PC with the power button btw? I’ve used that method so many times today cause it’s the only way to restart my computer :(

Yeah it says 2.2/15.9 GB (14%)
Ummmm my ram says 3200 on the stick, but my
Mother board only supports up to 2666mhz from what I read. I still have no idea why it freezes.

How bad is it to force shut up my PC with the power button btw? I’ve used that method so many times today cause it’s the only way to restart my computer :(
Holding down the power button does not do any harm.
If you enter the BIOS you can check to see what speed your RAM is running. You should have the "XMP" button turned off.

h370-gaming-pro-carbon-bios3.jpg

Reactions: ZacharyO
Aug 22, 2020
Holding down the power button does not do any harm.
If you enter the BIOS you can check to see what speed your RAM is running. You should have the "XMP" button turned off.

Alright it says 2666MHZ, i’m trying to post a picture of my bios on here but I don’t know how 😅 Also XMP is off as well. I clicked fan info and the little graph line went up to 85 degrees Celsius it looks like, Altho right now resting it says 39 degrees Celsius

Aug 22, 2020
My computer also hasn’t completely frozen on the middle of a game. It only completely freezes when I finished the game and am loading into another lobby to play another match, or Only freezes a couple minutes after startup on the desktop

Aug 22, 2020
Upgrading the parts in a prebuilt can be tricky, you should be able to do it, but they don't always make it easy. Do you have an owners manual for your machine? Perhaps your BIOS should be updated. The image you posted of your BIOS shows it was last updated in July of 2018.
Upgrading the parts in a prebuilt can be tricky, you should be able to do it, but they don't always make it easy. Do you have an owners manual for your machine? Perhaps your BIOS should be updated. The image you posted of your BIOS shows it was last updated in July of 2018.

I was thinking of updating Bios but I’ve read way too much that it could break it and I have no idea what i’m doing lmao ahhhhh I think i’m gonna have to put back my old CPU in cause I can’t figure this out for the life of me

I was thinking of updating Bios but I’ve read way too much that it could break it and I have no idea what i’m doing lmao ahhhhh I think i’m gonna have to put back my old CPU in cause I can’t figure this out for the life of me
You can always try removing your graphics card and use the built in graphics of the i9-9900K, just to see if the computer still freezes when you browse the web.

Aug 22, 2020
You can always try removing your graphics card and use the built in graphics of the i9-9900K, just to see if the computer still freezes when you browse the web.
I just took out my graphics card and realiz
Ahhh I just tried this, and it JUST froze as I came
Here to type this. It was working with youtube for a bit and then suddenly just froze up and I need to restart it again right now. I thought it was going to work for a second haha dang

Aug 22, 2020
Windows has a built in program called Event Viewer. It may give you some clues as to what is causing the crashes.

There are a lot of errors 😳 my computer also hasn’t froze yet from looking at this screen for the past 7 minutes. Just kidding, it just froze, hmmm

Aug 22, 2020
S
These errors seem to say this is a driver problem. I an not familiar with User-mode drivers myself, so i can't help with how to fix this problem.

You said you changed the PSU as well as the CPU. Is the new power supply a good quality?
Seasonic Focus Plus 750 Gold is what I bought from Amazon, Should definitely be enough from what I researched. Thanks for trying to help me, I think i’m just going to reinstall the old cpu tomorrow

Reactions: rocktalkrock
Aug 23, 2020
A computer that freezes both in normal mode and Safe Mode, or with another operating system, can often indicate a problem with your computer's hardware. It could be your hard drive, an overheating CPU, bad memory or a failing power supply.

Aug 22, 2020
A computer that freezes both in normal mode and Safe Mode, or with another operating system, can often indicate a problem with your computer's hardware. It could be your hard drive, an overheating CPU, bad memory or a failing power supply.
Left my computer on all night in safe mode and it still hasn’t froze, so what could that possibly mean?