[SOLVED] Computer Freezes/Crashes During Heavy Gaming and Cinebench

May 7, 2020
Specs:
CPU: i7 2600k
GPU: GTX 1070 ti (replaced Radeon HD 6850)
MB: Gigabyte Z68AP-D3
RAM: Adata ddr3 1333 Mhz (4x4 Gb)
SSD: T-Force 1TB SATA III 3D NAND
PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0600-K1

Here's the rub: I was given an old AutoCad rig from work and I replaced the Radeon 6850 with a GTX 1070 ti. Plan is to slowly replace everything around the 1070 ti with an updated ddr4 system. When i replaced the graphics card, it works wonderfully all except when i try to play games at 4k on my 65 inch 60hz tv monitor (I know...its all I have besides a junk 19"monitor). When I play graphically intensive games at 4k, after 5 or 10 minutes, the computer either shuts off completely and restarts, or freezes frame with audible static noise (no input, hard boot), or blue screens with 'unknown memory exception' error depending on the game. When I run Cinebench, however, the computer consistently freezes frame completely (no input, hard boot req'd) after about 30 seconds into it. CPU and GPU temps never go above about 75C during any of this. I tried replacing the PSU (EVGA 600 watt) to no avail. The only thing that stops all of this from happening is limiting the CPU to 65% in power management (strangely this doesn't seem to effect frame rates in games very much though).

I plan on replacing the original thermal paste on the CPU when I can get my hands on some, but thought I'd see if anyone had better ideas other than reducing power to the CPU. Maybe the 4k thing is just not meant to be for ddr3 system?

Last edited:
Specs:
CPU: i7 2600k
GPU: GTX 1070 ti (replaced Radeon HD 6850)
MB: Gigabyte Z68AP-D3
RAM: Adata ddr3 1333 Mhz (4x4 Gb)

Here's the rub: I was given an old AutoCad rig from work and I replaced the Radeon 6850 with a GTX 1070 ti. Plan is to slowly replace everything around the 1070 ti with an updated ddr4 system. When i replaced the graphics card, it works wonderfully all except when i try to play games at 4k on my 65 inch 60hz tv monitor (I know...its all I have besides a junk 19"monitor). When I play graphically intensive games at 4k, after 5 or 10 minutes, the computer either shuts off completely and restarts, or freezes frame with audible static noise (no input, hard boot), or blue screens with 'unknown memory exception' error depending on the game. When I run Cinebench, however, the computer consistently freezes frame completely (no input, hard boot req'd) after about 30 seconds into it. CPU and GPU temps never go above about 75C during any of this. I tried replacing the PSU (EVGA 600 watt) to no avail. The only thing that stops all of this from happening is limiting the CPU to 65% in power management (strangely this doesn't seem to effect frame rates in games very much though).

I plan on replacing the original thermal paste on the CPU when I can get my hands on some, but thought I'd see if anyone had better ideas other than reducing power to the CPU. Maybe the 4k thing is just not meant to be for ddr3 system?
You replaced a EVGA 600, or replaced what was in there with a EVGA 600. That PSU is garbage for a 1070ti.

Ok then, any recommendations? Im happy to swap the PSU again if thats the most likely culprit. Would any 80 +gold rating or so do?
You don’t need a gold unit, you just need a QUALITY unit. Brand name isn’t everything, most companies farm their low end out to companies that make other cheap PSU and they are garbage. Lowest I would recommend would be a Corsair CX550, it is bronze but is very solid. Just make sure it’s not the M version. The modular ones are worse.

TRENDING THREADS