Computer Freezes/Crashes unexpectedly. Trying to figure out why.

vasil7112

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014
Hey there TomsHardware community,

I am having an issue with my computer and i can't seem to find the solution anywhere.
For some reason my computer unexpectedly freezes without any prior notice. There are 2 types of freezes i experience.
1) While playing games, the computer freezes at random times and even though i can't do a lot like use hotkeys, exit the game e.t.c, i can still hear my friends over skype/discord for a few extra seconds (around 10-15 seconds). Then, everything freezes and i just have to restart the computer.
2) I formatted my computer yesterday, and i left it downloading a few different programs over night. Visual Studio, Unity, Eclipse and a few games. When i woke up today my computer was still open, but it wasn't responding. Moving the mouse or pressing buttons on the keyboard did not "wake up" the monitor from sleep mode. I had to restart the computer, and when i did the monitor woke up.

I went to check the Events at that time of day, no errors what so ever that informed me about a crash. I woke up at 12 o'clock and the last event was fired at 8:29 with the following to events:
a) The Software Protection service has stopped.
b) Successfully scheduled Software Protection service for re-start at 2116-07-26T05:29:30Z. Reason: RulesEngine.

Today i also run a stress test just to check out the temperatures.

Normal Temperatures:
- CPU: Min 40C - Max 54C (Average Between all cores)
- GPU: 40C
Stress Test Temperatures:
- CPU: Max 65C
- GPU: Max 72C

These temperatures seem quite normal to me for my system setup, which is:
- CPU: i7 5930K
- GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Million Edition

I've also done a disk check on each disk for errors, it came up with nothing.

I know that the above information are not a lot to start with, but i'll try to provide as many information as i can. If you need more just tell me.
All i need is some guidance in order to figure out what is going on.

Thanks a lot in advance for reading this thread and for even thinking for a second what the issue could be.

Kind regards,
Vasil7112

vasil7112

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014

As long as it can handle it, why not just put some pressure on it?:D
http://prntscr.com/c7n07s
http://prntscr.com/c7n0if
http://prntscr.com/c7n0o6

Just saying though, this is a completely formatted pc with the only things on it being:
- Antivirus (Avast / AVG / Antimalware bytes)
- Drivers (Logitech & Razer Synapse & Windows Keyboard & WD-MyPassport)
- Gaming APP and all the others MSI Utilities (Came with the Motherboard disk)
- MSI Afterburner
- VoiceMeeter & VB-Audio Virtual Cables - DONE
- Discord & Steam & Origin & GoG
- League of Legends

Everything else such as shall not play any role in the picture above since it was installed after the freeze.
- WinRar / 7Zip
- Visual Studio & Unity Tools
- Unity
- Notepad ++
- Skype Portable
- Google Chrome Portable
- Blender ??
- Sony Vegas Portable?
- Audacity
- FileZilla
- Putty
- Team Viewer

Thanks a lot :D

That's just it, your computer CANT handle it. Start by disabling all the unnecessary stuff.
- If you don't have a 3d monitor, uninstall your drivers (and geforce experience) and do a clean install with JUST the drivers, audio, and physx (don't install experience for now)
- Disable supercharger, superraid (unless you are using RAID), voicemeter, sbcinema, all MSI apps (update, OSD, eco service, etc), chargeservice, gaming app/hotkey, ccleaner, lightshot (hell, delete that one, win10 has better tools), and the intel services (including isa, icc, jhi, and the overclocking tools)
-close out chrome
- double check "live update.exe" , "fast boot.exe" , and "discord.exe" and uninstall if not needed, disable if needed

After you've disabled that stuff, restart and then test.

vasil7112

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014

1) I use everything up there, almost daily.
2) http://prntscr.com/c7nsfh

My computer can easily handle them, and even more than just those. Did you see the build?

EDIT: Regarding the lightshot. As you said, windows 10 has better tools. I am running Win8.

EDIT 2: This issue is recent, i started experiencing it 1.5 weeks ago. The freezing may happen once per 2 days, at unexpected times or even more. I have this computer for more than a year, with a lot more apps than what you see now, so i am sure that it can handle it with ease.

1) It has nothing to do with average CPU or memory use
2) Your system is fine, but I've seen plenty like it that slow down at random times due to bad drivers and other software. Some software you might not think are drivers actually are, like AV software and keyboard filters
3) Win 8 has all the same tools except the game recorder app. If you want to save a screenshot just press windows+prtscn and it's saved
4) If it only showed up recently it's even more reason to believe it's a software issue. Likely something updated and is screwing you over

If it's a software issue, the method above will help you figure out what software is causing it

vasil7112

Reputable
Feb 22, 2014

If that is true then it must be one of the following:
- Antivirus (Avast / AVG / Antimalware bytes)
- Drivers (Logitech & Razer Synapse & Windows Keyboard & WD-MyPassport)
- Gaming APP and all the others MSI Utilities (Came with the Motherboard disk)
- MSI Afterburner
- VoiceMeeter & VB-Audio Virtual Cables - DONE
- Discord & Steam & Origin & GoG
- League of Legends

I'll check it out but i am about 99.9% that is none of the above, since i was using and am using the same versions as i used to have before 1 month. That goes with the exception of League of Legends Discord Steam Origin and GoG which were auto-updating and the rest were monitored. (Antivirus of-course did the auto updates but only to its Database).

TRENDING THREADS