Computer Freezes/Crashes while playing games

Heda

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
Hello, recently my computer started freezing/crashing while playing games. It first started crashing gradually and it crashes more and more often now. It started like once a week , now its like when I start a game the computer freezes in like 15 minutes, no matter what game. I often play games that doesnt even use my GPU to 50% and it runs on 50-60°. When playing more demanding game where the usage goes up to 99% and temperature is about 75-85° the crash time doesnt change. Its still about 15 minutes. I have to restart the computer by holding the start button. I never overclocked my computer. Everything is fine when Im watching livestreams on the highest quality or youtube videos on 1080p@60. I had similiar problem like this but the card was overheating so I got a new one. This computer is old arround 1 and a half year. I blow the dust and everything once a month from the computer and clean it completely. Oh and I forgot to add, It doesnt completely crash everytime,the computer keeps running, mouse,sound and keyboard is working. Sometimes it says that nvidia driver has stopped working and recoverd, sometimes its freeze for like 5 sec and then blackscreen , sometimes it freezes and jumps into some crazy white/blue/red colors quickly appearing and disapearing on the screen, and sometimes its a casual blue screen. I reinstalled all the drivers, all the games, programs, only thing that I havent tried reinstalling is windows. The computer still got varranity so if nothing works i will just have it swapped like the other one.

My specs:
i5 4670k arround 40-55° (watercooled)
msi z87 g45 mobo
asus gtx 770 2gb runs arround 50-60° on games that I play
8 gb ram
750W silver

I would be really happy if you could help me fixing this problem. Thanks!

Solution
Crashing makes me think temperature, but that software seems trustworthy at measuring the temperature, which seems to not be a problem.

So, I'd say if it's possible, try doing something with it on a clean OS.
Maybe install windows 8.1 express (free) as a dual boot and run a game on there. Or maybe just reinstall windows and install minimal stuff and run a game and see if the crashing still occurs.

If the crashing still occurs, then it is probably that your graphics card hardware is broken somehow and your warranty would come in handy.

jtabb1256

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

How are you measuring the temperature of the graphics card?

jtabb1256

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
Crashing makes me think temperature, but that software seems trustworthy at measuring the temperature, which seems to not be a problem.

So, I'd say if it's possible, try doing something with it on a clean OS.
Maybe install windows 8.1 express (free) as a dual boot and run a game on there. Or maybe just reinstall windows and install minimal stuff and run a game and see if the crashing still occurs.

If the crashing still occurs, then it is probably that your graphics card hardware is broken somehow and your warranty would come in handy.

Solution

Heda

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
edit: added that the computer is still turned on , keyboard and mouse is working. But sound doesnt work. (I have my headphones plugged in front usb panel)

jtabb1256

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

Do your mouse, keyboard, or usb flash drive work in the usb panel? If not, is the case's usb panel properly plugged into the motherboard?

If it is, then you may have a motherboard problem. I would try temporarily using integrated graphics and if you still have the problems of freezing and stuff, then it is probably your motherboard, not your graphics card.

Heda

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
Im currently reinstalling windows. If the problem persists i will try integrated gpu like you said. And mouse,keyboard and speakers which are plugged inside the mobo are still on but i cant use them. For example the caps lock button,when i click it the light doesnt turn on so it doest show if its on or off. But i can hear sound from speakers untill it automatically reboots itself or I shut it down by holding the start button. And I can also hear sound from speakers that are plugged in front panel along with phone charger and the phone keeps charging. Thank you for your help so far i really appreciate it.