Computer freezes daily

Wills Cyrus

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013
Last May I built a new computer, it runs quite well apart from it freezes daily. It doesn't matter if I'm doing something performance heavy or just browsing the internet, it just freezes and if audio is playing it sounds like the song or whatever plays the last millisecond repeatedly causing it to be extremely loud. When it freezes, I turn the computer off at the power button. This crash happens at least once per day, and I'm worried it will soon affect my computer besides being a huge inconvenience (I sometimes lose a lot of work when this happens.) So I'm looking for a way to fix this.

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77- V LX
CPU: Intel I5 3570
Video Card: nVidia Gigabyte GTX 660
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4)
PSU: 450 Watts, not sure on the model, I used the PSU from my old computer, possibly my new system doesn't get enough power?
HD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm

When installing the OS, my dad had to fiddle around with the installation because it wasn't accepting it, so he tried installing XP, then upgrading to 7, I'm not sure on the details but 7 was working in the end.

How can I fix this crash? Is there enough power? Are the parts incompatible or something? Today it has frozen four times, two within the space of 20 minutes, this is the most it has ever frozen in one day, maybe because I was fiddling round with the components?

I've just checked event viewer, and for each time my com0puter crashes, it creates a log about kernal-power ID 41?

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
That rig should be rock solid! Every thing is good, plus an Asus board and Windows 7!

But resetting with the pwr button is no good. It won't continue to work forever. I'd probably spend an afternoon on it. Backup everything, flash to the latest Bios/UEFI and reinstall Windows 7 from scratch.

Wills Cyrus

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013

It's an FSP450-60APN

navyboy887

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Upgrade the power supply to a 650W or 750W Corsair. You can get the 650W for $90 and it will power your computer nicely. If you don't want to spend $90, I would recommend updating your BIOS and DVD Drive firmware and then try to re-install Windows 7. Your computer may also have a virus, download Kaspersky or some other good virus software and run a scan.

navyboy887

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012

I just looked at Kernel Power Event #41 and it apparently means that the system was shut down unexpectedly and Windows is trying to see if the system shut down cleanly. I'm highly suspicious of that power supply. If you don't want to spend $90 on a 650W PSU, this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371031 is a 620W Antec PSU. I've never had any issues with my 450W Antec PSU that I'm running in my file server.