Question Computer freezes for a few seconds every minute or so ...

May 30, 2019
Hi all. About a month ago I built a new system and got everything up and running. However, I've had constant issues with my PC freezing randomly for a few seconds(even idling on desktop with nothing open). The freezing seems to be rather sporadic, going from happening several times per minute to happening once or twice an hour. From my initial research, I checked to see if there was a memory issue (downloaded and ran memtest), and discovered that there was, in fact, a damaged stick of RAM. I returned the broken kit and got a new kit, re-ran memtest and everything checked out.

However, the freezing remained.

My next thought was a driver issue, so I completely uninstalled all graphics drivers and did a clean install manually from NVIDIA's website. This, again, did not resolve the issue. At this point, I'm at a bit of a roadblock, and would love to hear any feedback. My computer specs are listed below:

CPU: i7-8700k
MOBO: MSI Z390 Mortar
Memory: 32 GB (4X8GB) 3200 MHZ Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
Cooler: Deepcool Captain 240EX RGB
GPU: MSI Ventus RTX 2060 6GB
Storage: WD NVME SSD 256 GB, 1 TB Seagate HDD
Case: NZXT H500i
PSU: EVGA 550W 80+ Bronze Fully modular

All temps on the CPU and GPU are normal (as this issue even happens when idle). I was considering that because CPU Core Voltage and DRAM voltage are set to AUTO, it may be under-volted causing the studder, but I honestly have no idea. I have not overclocked anything (CPU, GPU or RAM) manually, besides enabling XMP.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I would be grateful, thanks!

May 29, 2019
A few thoughts:

Is it your mouse? I know that sounds like a stupid question, but a failing mouse could keep you from interacting with the computer, simulating a "freeze." Next time it happens, hit Ctrl+Alt+Del to see if your keyboard still has input.

The freezing you are experiencing might be from a windows corruption error; I would make sure that everything is updated (via Windows Update), and either "Boot from last known good configuration" or try to reinstall windows.

Reactions: gokartzoom
May 30, 2019
A few thoughts:

Is it your mouse? I know that sounds like a stupid question, but a failing mouse could keep you from interacting with the computer, simulating a "freeze." Next time it happens, hit Ctrl+Alt+Del to see if your keyboard still has input.

The freezing you are experiencing might be from a windows corruption error; I would make sure that everything is updated (via Windows Update), and either "Boot from last known good configuration" or try to reinstall windows.

I checked and it says there is a feature update to Windows 10 1903, prompting me to download and install, but I am already running that version.

I have used my mouse with other computers and have not experienced this issue, so I don't think that is the problem, thanks for the suggestion though.