Question Computer freezes randomly playing games

AJStellios

Commendable
Dec 13, 2020
Hi, a couple of weeks ago I was experiencing some big system crashes as explained in this thread I made earlier (https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...and-strange-rebooting-after-shutdown.3706933/). I didn't get much of a response at all so in the end went with getting a new power supply in the hope that would fix the issues. After not experiencing any crashes I thought problem solved. However, I've now been experiencing full system freezes when playing Dishonored 2 and Kerbal Space Program, games I've played before and never had such issues. The whole of windows freezes, except for my mouser cursor that I can move around for a while until that also freezes. The only fix is to hard reboot. I'm completely stumped for what to do so any help would be appreciated.

What I'ved tried: Temperatures are all fine. Event Viewer shows nothing apart from windows being forced shutdown. Samsung Magician disk check shows my drive is fine. Windows Memory Diagnostic shows memory is fine.

System Specs:
Ryzen 5 5600X
GTX 1060 6GB
16GB 2133Mhz DDR4 RAM
MSI B550i Gaming Edge WiFi
Corsair RM750x PSU
Samsung 980 1TB NVME SSD

LukeyisLukey

Commendable
Dec 24, 2019
Is there any certain places/times in the game that the crash/freeze occurs? I have never played any of these games, but I know that in kerbal space program, fps can drop quite dramatically.

AJStellios

Commendable
Dec 13, 2020
Is there any certain places/times in the game that the crash/freeze occurs? I have never played any of these games, but I know that in kerbal space program, fps can drop quite dramatically.
Thanks for the reply.

The freezes haven't happened anytime in particular, which is making it hard to trouble shoot. I've also had windows freeze a couple times while not playing games which makes me believe it isn't actually game related and instead a windows or general hardware fault.

LukeyisLukey

Commendable
Dec 24, 2019
I don't think it could be a hardware issue, considering windows is still running when your freeze occurs. Since most of these are random, I think it is a software issue. Do a virus scan, and see if any gpu or other visual drivers need a update

AJStellios

Commendable
Dec 13, 2020
I don't think it could be a hardware issue, considering windows is still running when your freeze occurs. Since most of these are random, I think it is a software issue. Do a virus scan, and see if any gpu or other visual drivers need a update
I've ran my anti-virus, no issues found. All drivers are up to date. What I've found is when the computer has freezed, I've unplugged my hdmi and replugged it and not recieved any output signal after that, don't know if that means there's some sort of graphical error.

AJStellios

Commendable
Dec 13, 2020
Okay so I had another freeze, this time unplugging and replugging the hdmi I still got video output so don't think it's a video issue. I just find it wierd how it isn't an instant freeze. I had a youtube video that remained running in the background for some time, and pressing some keyboard buttons like alt tab and windows key worked for 20 seconds before they also stopped responding. Same with mouse would still move for a bit before freezing. After forcing a shutdown the pc also takes a long time to reboot compared to only a few seconds usually. Could this be linked to a faulty ssd maybe?