Question Computer freezes randomly while playing games

May 8, 2019
Hey guys,

around beginning of march my computer started freezing randomly while playing games or watching videos. When freezing I have 2 different sound loops - either it's a continuous static humming sound or a repeating high pitched screeching noise. The display freezes and the computer can only be recovered by holding the power button to shut down (reset doesn't work).

My specs:
CPU: i7 6700k with Corsair H75 Liquid Cooler
MB: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero
RAM: Corsair CMK32GX4M4A2133C13 32 GB
GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury X
PSU: Corsair AX860i
SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB NVMe
HDD1: Seagate ST2000DX001
HDD2: Seagate ST2000DM001

Peripherals:
Roccat Nyth mouse
Roccat Skeltr keyboard
Corsair HS50 headset
ASUS VG245H display (HDMI)

What I tried so far:
  • opened up the case and cleaned multiple times
  • installed the latest driver updates for gpu, motherboard, audio (which fixed at least the freezing in Youtube)
  • updated bios to latest version
  • did some prime95 stresstests for a good long time (>30 mins)
  • cleaned the event log for errors (some persist, I'll come back to this)
  • did some temperature monitoring (no noticable heat spikes)
  • did memtest
  • did cpu stress test
  • replaced my old Kingston HyperX Cloud 7.1 headset with a stereo headset

Easiest way to reproduce the error is by playing Final Fantasy IX HD remaster or Slay the Spire on steam - usually freezes after 1-2 hours. I tried Warhammer II and it didn't freeze (in about 3 hours). Also Everquest II runs fine for hours.

My eventlog displays the usual DistributedCOM errors Windows 10 is well known for and one 7000 SCM error:

<Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7000</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-05-08T08:30:56.156530600Z" />
<EventRecordID>15395</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="812" ThreadID="1636" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Gjalni</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="param1">amdacpksd</Data>
<Data Name="param2">%%2</Data>
<Binary>61006D0064006100630070006B00730064000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

This error is persistent even after completely uninstalling and reinstalling the latest graphics drivers.

Also after about 30 seconds after booting to the desktop it has a 100% cpu load for about 1-2 minutes then behaves normal. Dunno if it's related to anything of the above, but may as well.

Only anti-virus is the windows defender.

I'm out of ideas at the moment and could really use some help.

cheek nothing else is on system that should not be
ADW cleaner by malewarebytes removes adware installs nothing

May 8, 2019
cheek nothing else is on system that should not be
ADW cleaner by malewarebytes removes adware installs nothing

Thanks for your reply. I did that a few times already (forgot to mention things I usually do regularily) but it didn't find anything.

May 8, 2019
I would try upgrading or downgrading your amd gpu drivers.

Thanks for your reply. I'm currently on the latest driver version 19.4.3 and updated them continuously since I experienced this issue (or got the prompt that a new version is available)... I might try an earlier version from january tonight and see if that does the trick.

May 8, 2019
Okay, so while replicating this error I intentionally let hwinfo run a logfile in the background. I myself cannot see anything in that, so I thought some of you guys might. Only things running were Chrome, hwinfo, steam and Final Fantasy IX (happens to be the best option to replicate the error).

hwinfo log

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
you could try with Another psu if you got any and Another Graphics card if possible. if same things happen you probably can rule them out as the problem. have you tried with removing any of the ram sticks?

May 8, 2019
you could try with Another psu if you got any and Another Graphics card if possible. if same things happen you probably can rule them out as the problem. have you tried with removing any of the ram sticks?

Thanks for your reply.

I have neither of those spare regrettably. Also I have not yet removed any ram sticks, but I have actually done a memtest and some prime95 stress tests which resulted in no errors. I give it a go over the weekend. The thing is, that it is so time consuming to reproduce that darn error... might happen within 15 minutes or after several hours. Also it seems to just happen with steam games... everything else seems to be fine so far. Oh and while at this topic, I already reinstalled steam.

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
i guess you got 8 gb X 4 ram. try the in diffrent slots with just two of them installed. from what iheard ram can pass ram test but still cause problems.
it only happens with steam games? that is alil strange. if it only happens with steam games this probably is more windows/software driver related.

May 8, 2019
i guess you got 8 gb X 4 ram. try the in diffrent slots with just two of them installed. from what iheard ram can pass ram test but still cause problems.
it only happens with steam games? that is alil strange. if it only happens with steam games this probably is more windows/software driver related.

Yeah, that's what get's me the most... It is so annoying as I can play Everquest II (which is also old, but more demanding) for days. But it's not that every game on steam does that... Total War Warhammer II works fine so far (on highest graphics settings that is)... just had a 3 hour session the other day. I already tried different harddrives - nothing...

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
if you play origin games or games installed on hdd you dont get freeze? it only happens on steam games? if i was you i would try one of the newer games on origin like bfv or something like that to see if it can run without freezing for long time on origin. If it runs
without freezing you will know for sure this is windows or driver related.

if that is the case i would try to reinstall windows with a Clean install. if your problem was hardware related you wuld get freezes on origin games to.

May 8, 2019
if you play origin games or games installed on hdd you dont get freeze? it only happens on steam games? if i was you i would try one of the newer games on origin like bfv or something like that to see if it can run without freezing for long time on origin. If it runs
without freezing you will know for sure this is windows or driver related.

if that is the case i would try to reinstall windows with a Clean install. if your problem was hardware related you wuld get freezes on origin games to.

Origin games work. I just did a 2h session of mass effect without any issues at all. I'll try another clean install of steam as well as those games that happen to be affected, if that doesn't work I guess I'll have to reinstall good ol' windows which I'm not very excited about...