Question Computer freezes randomly with no performance spikes/dips

Longules

Reputable
Feb 21, 2020
Been having this problem for a little under a month. My computer keeps completely freezing for 1-5 seconds while otherwise running perfectly. When it happens nothing changes on the performance log and it doesn't seem to be tied to any high performance tasks. It can happen when my computer is pretty much doing nothing and some graphically intense games actually seem to stabilize it. Happens about once or twice an hour.
The most reliable way to trigger it, and the way I've been testing my attempts to fix it, is League of Legends. The first time (and only the first time) a lot of things happen onscreen in a match, it will almost always hitch. Other than that it seems completely random when it happens.

Already tried updating a bunch of drivers and my mobo bios/chipset

Suspecting it might have something to do with some setting in windows or my firewall

Specs:
Intel i7-8700k
16 GB Ram
Nvidia GTX 1080
Gigabyte Z370 HD3P
Windows 10 installed to WD 1TB SSD

Solution
Found out what it was. I turned off "let apps run in the background" in my privacy settings and it fixed this (and just made my PC run better in general.) Not sure which app specifically was contributing to the freezes but windows was probably running some sort of periodic activity on one of them.
Aug 12, 2020
Make sure two things:
  1. Make sure your CPU Fan is running properly. Sometimes it doesn't work with high CPU uses.
  2. Make sure you don't have two antivirus running on your computer simultaneously. If so, please uninstall the one.

Longules

Reputable
Feb 21, 2020
Installed coretemp and also have MSI afterburner to monitor graphics card temps.
My i7 has 6 cores. I had 2 freezes while monitoring it closely, one in League (at the beginning of the match as always) and one a bout 10 seconds after closing the program, (side note, closing windows or programs seems to be one of the things that sometimes sets it off but this could just be coincidence)

When it hitched in league, all 6 of my cores were around 48 degrees and my graphics card was at 59
when it hitched on desktop, things were slightly hotter and one of my cores was briefly at 64 but the rest were around 50-53 and the one core dropped down pretty quickly.

My core temp now with a few low usage programs and chrome open is 42-49, usually around 43-44 and my GPU has been sitting at 52

There were a few times where one of the cores would very briefly get into the high 50s/low 60s during the game but this didn't cause freezing

Unless those temps are concerning I'm inclined to think its more software related than hardware

Longules

Reputable
Feb 21, 2020
Found out what it was. I turned off "let apps run in the background" in my privacy settings and it fixed this (and just made my PC run better in general.) Not sure which app specifically was contributing to the freezes but windows was probably running some sort of periodic activity on one of them.

Solution