Question Computer freezes / shuts down!

Apr 17, 2019
So a month or two ago my old pc started acting strange. It freezes or shuts down but rarely when i'm playing a game. 99% it does this when watching youtube videos, just browsing the internet or even when just doing nothing just staying on desktop. I ran FurMark and Prime95 for GPU and CPU for half an hour each and the temperatures were good(max 79°c GPU-max 55°c CPU), nothing strange happened. I also ran Memtest and that windows memorry check for the RAM and no error showed up. The HDD is pretty new, only had it for like 5 or 6 months. I suspect the PSU being the problem, because it's like 4/5 years old and it's not really a known brand, no certification or anything. Can this be the problem? If not, how cand i find what causes the freezes/shuts down?

Also all my drivers are up to date + scanned the computer for viruses via licenced Kaspersky and nothing showed up. I also cleaned all the dust inside the PC and reinstalled Windows(licenced copy)

CPU: AMD FX-6300
GPU: AMD Radeon R7 260x OC 2GB
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0
RAM: 8GB (4x2gb) Corsair Vengeance DDR3
Storage: 1TB WesternDigital
PSU: 700W no certification

Last edited:
A few years ago I had a faulty stick of RAM that took 19 hours on Prime95 Blend to catch. Coincidentally, I discovered the problem while doing F@H which was crashing out in 20 minutes or less each run.

Have you tested with only 1 stick of RAM installed at a time?

May 16, 2019
Heyo, this sounds a whole lot like my problem. I was wondering if you had any updates on how it was fixed?
You and I both have the same cpu and motherboard combo and I too have a no-name PSU (thermaltake).
At first I thought it was a PSU problem, but I haven't gone and ordered a new PSU as of yet because I don't have a whole lot of money available if I'm wrong.

I know there have been reported issues with compatibility between some AMD CPUs and our motherboards, as when I put those two together on my pc part picker, it shows up with "potentially incompatible"
If you have any answers, let me know.

Have you tried the system with 1 ram stick?

Meaning shut down pc, remove 1 stick, try the pc out and see if issue happens, if it does, shut down system remove the ram stick then put the other in and try again?

This could single out a bad ram chip.

However this more sounds like a PSU issue on low loads. What is your psu brand? A non-certified psu in a system like yours is not okay. The only good thing is the wattage which also leaves more room for a BIGGER and LOUDER failure.

Is there anyway to try a new PSU in your system and see if the issue happens?

Sometimes PSU's fail on low loads rather than high. How long have you had this PSU?

May 16, 2019
Have you tried the system with 1 ram stick?

Meaning shut down pc, remove 1 stick, try the pc out and see if issue happens, if it does, shut down system remove the ram stick then put the other in and try again?

This could single out a bad ram chip.

However this more sounds like a PSU issue on low loads. What is your psu brand? A non-certified psu in a system like yours is not okay. The only good thing is the wattage which also leaves more room for a BIGGER and LOUDER failure.

Is there anyway to try a new PSU in your system and see if the issue happens?

Sometimes PSU's fail on low loads rather than high. How long have you had this PSU?
This probably isn't a reply to my question, but to his, but I'll take it as a reply to mine ahaha

I only have one stick of RAM to begin with (Patriot Signature 1x8GB)
My PSU is Thermaltake (came with the computer case, 500W)
Ive had the whole computer for i think 3 and 1/2 years now, including the PSU

My specs are:
AMD 6300 6core
Asus M5A97-R2
Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD
Patriot Signature 8GB Single
Patriot Ignite 240G SSD
Thermaltake Versa H21 (with 500W PSU)
Gainward 4G GTX960 Phantom

I don't have another PSU available for free, so I'd have to spend my very limited money on a new one to try to figure it out ahaha.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Well if you don't have another stick of ram nor another power supply you can't really do any troubleshooting to fix your issue.
Plus its not a great power supply either its pretty basic and i would say it is time to replace it after 3 and half years.

Reactions: Jason H.
I agree with iMatty if its only 1 stick, sounds like a faulty PSU on low loads. Something may have caused the V rail to fail on low loads who knows its not even certified.

This is only if your issue is the same as the OP's issue.

On another note yes my response was to the OP lol.

Reactions: iMatty
May 16, 2019
Well if you don't have another stick of ram nor another power supply you can't really do any troubleshooting to fix your issue.
Plus its not a great power supply either its pretty basic and i would say it is time to replace it after 3 and half years.
aight ty fella