Question Computer freezes (Software/Heat/Failing component?)

Oct 28, 2021
Hi all,

First time using Toms Hardware so thanks in advance. Recently I have had a strange issue creep up. My desktop (built by me 2-1/2 years ago),started to freeze after starting up. Sometimes it successfully starts all my initial programs that I have run at start up, and sometimes it happens during. I have tried disabling nonessential programs from starting up (Game/voice/Etc.) same freezes happen within 1-5 mins from reboot.

This problem first occurred last week. I tried to trouble shooting it then, eventually I tried restoring the computer from a system restore point and during this process the computer froze again, and that was bad, removed old drives. I bought a new graphics card and an SSD a while back so I figured this was the time for a clean install. I picked up a second SSD and installed the new components (2-SSD's/Video Card). Reinstalled windows 10, updated to latest version of windows 10 with windows update assistant, updated MoBo bios. I ran windows updates, got graphics drivers and everything seemed to be working fine (No freezing) I stress tested the system over the next week with several hours of gaming. Everything seemed fine. The other night I left the computer on in the evening. When I woke up I found it frozen again. I restarted and now the problem has occurred again, freezing with in 1-5 mins of start up. Currently the computer has been on for 2 hours in safe mode with networking (playing a documentary on you tube). CPU Temp idle 28-30c. Software/Heat/Failing component? I'm at a loss, anyone able to help point me in the right direction?

• ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 Video Card, OC Edition TUF-RTX3060-O12G-GAMING
  • ASUS ROG ZENITH EXTREME sTR4 AMD X399 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Extended ATX AMD Motherboard
  • ASUS ROG Ryuo 240 RGB AIO Liquid CPU Cooler 240mm Radiator (Dual 120mm 4-pin PWM Fans) with LIVEDASH OLED Panel and FanXpert Controls, 90RC0040-M0UAY0
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card 08G-P4-6678-KR (Old card that was installed when problem first occurred)
  • AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1st Gen - Ryzen Threadripper 1950X Whitehaven (Zen) 16-Core / 32 Threads 3.4 GHz Socket sTR4 180W YD195XA8AEWOF Desktop Processor
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 220-G2-0850-XR 80+ GOLD 850W Fully Modular EVGA ECO Mode Includes FREE Power On Self Tester Power Supply
  • CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model CMK32GX4M2B3200C16
  • Rosewill - THOR V2 Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Supports up to E-ATX / XL-ATX, Comes With Four Fans - 1 x Front Red LED 230mm Fan, 1 x Top 230mm Fan, 1 x Side 230mm Fan, 1 x Rear 140mm Fan
  • WD - Blue 1TB SATA 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive
  • WD - Blue 500GB SATA 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive

Last edited: