Computer freezes, sound starts looping, both my screen freeze and become a horizontal line pattern.

Jun 26, 2018
Hello,

So whenever I play more demanding games, a few minutes in, the title starts happening and I have to restart the computer. However when I turn it back on, the motherboard logo is filled with horizontal red lines in the pattern of squares, it's a bit hard to describe, imagine a chess board, every white spot is a normal one while all the black spots can still be seen through but have horizontal red lines. Either way, that only happens on the motherboard logo, after that it changes to two big vertical lines on each of my screens until the PC fully boots. It also takes much longer to boot, after that it looks and acts normally.

I'm not sure where exactly is the problem, if it's my motherboard, power supply or GPU because I've noticed that if I only use 1 screen, games don't crash. My second screen also acts weird, when there are darker spots, they become somewhat reddish, though it doesn't have any sort of pattern, it looks fairly random. The GPU is the newest part of my build so I'm hoping it's not it. I know it sounds a bit vague but I'm looking for advice on what I can test to see, I don't have spare parts to try others out sadly.

I should also mention that it's not overheating as I've been monitoring my temperatures.

Edit: Sorry I should've mentioned my gpu survived through a whole furmark stress test and the temperature were always good, also I changed the pins from the PSU a while back and it worked fine for a couple of weeks this is why I'm really confused whether it's the gpu or the psu failing.

Thank you in advance.

Solution
You can stress test your GPU with Furmark. It will show you temps as it tests. Also, HWinfo and GPUid are good free tools to help identify/diagnose problems. It sounds to me like you could have a bad GPU though. Do you have onboard video? if so try that as a test with the GPU removed. you also want to make sure that your PSU has more power than what your GPU will want to pull. That can be found in the manufacturer's specs. While you are at it, you can make sure that your RAM is properly seated and test it with MemTest, just to rule that out if nothing else. The last thing that I would check is for bent pins on the CPU. I would not risk it unless all other tests fail to isolate the problem. Another thing to check is your video settings...

timmoseus

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
You can stress test your GPU with Furmark. It will show you temps as it tests. Also, HWinfo and GPUid are good free tools to help identify/diagnose problems. It sounds to me like you could have a bad GPU though. Do you have onboard video? if so try that as a test with the GPU removed. you also want to make sure that your PSU has more power than what your GPU will want to pull. That can be found in the manufacturer's specs. While you are at it, you can make sure that your RAM is properly seated and test it with MemTest, just to rule that out if nothing else. The last thing that I would check is for bent pins on the CPU. I would not risk it unless all other tests fail to isolate the problem. Another thing to check is your video settings, both in your BIOS and in Windows.

Solution