Computer freezes suddenly for few seconds

in_core

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
From few months I have noticed that my computer suddenly freezes for few seconds ranging from 5secs to 30secs. This freezes happen randomly but i noticed more freezes while watching movie.
I turned on the windows task manager and started watching video and when it freeze again i noticed my CPU usage jumped to 100%, RAM usage stayed stable (my usual CPU usage is below 10% and RAM is about 25%)

I also get black screens (about once per 2 days) followed by windows warning "Display Driver stopped working and now has recovered"

Software:
I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit edition
ATi Catalyst 11.7

Solution

I mean install or run another OS from live cd or something and watch movie/ playgame in it to verify that its indeed a hardware issue.

anyways if you can download process explorer and try to identify which process uses too much cpu and HDD causing the lock up.

in_core

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010

"prime, furmark, memtest" i have heard about these tests...but is it a software or web based test? nd where to find these softwares?
i dont think it is a problem with the PSU because i have a XFX 650W PSU

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

I mean install or run another OS from live cd or something and watch movie/ playgame in it to verify that its indeed a hardware issue.

anyways if you can download process explorer and try to identify which process uses too much cpu and HDD causing the lock up.

Solution

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

well congrats lol, since its working now i suggest you image your HDD for backup in case you messed it up again in the future so that you wont waste time reinstalling everything.