Jan 28, 2023
For whatever reason, whenever I am playing a game like League of Legends or open a different game, my computer will randomly freeze. It's not often, nor does it happen every time, but for some reason, it'll just freeze. If it freezes and I mash keys or click the mouse rapidly, it'll give out a single beep and then after a second will unfreeze itself like normal.

I've tried checking a few things like my CPU & GPU Temps using CPUID Hardware Monitor, and all are fine and within a solid range. I don't really know what else to check at this point. My setup is below:

CPU: i7-7700K
Liquid Cooled
Motherboard: MSI Z270
RAM: 16GB 3200
Storage: 240GB, 1TB, 1TB SSDs
GPU: GTX 1080 8GB
PSU: Corsair CX650M 80+

I do have a 3 monitor setup, 1 HDMI, 1 Displayport, and 1 DVI. 2 of which are running 60hz, while the middle one is running 144hz. I solely have Discord running on my left monitor, whatever I'm playing on the middle monitor, and then google chrome with a youtube/twitch stream open on the right monitor. This doesn't honestly happen with all games, primarily only League of Legends or if I open a game and try to tab out while it's initially loading and changing screens.

I was recently able to capture what happens, but the video doesn't give it justice. In the video it incorrectly gives off two beeps, I'm not sure if that is a mistake with YouTube audio compression or something because the original untrimmed video only gives off 1 beep. This is the video just in case it helps:

View: https://youtu.be/yXiTFkIPavU

I would have posted a better one but usually it happens when I'm playing and I'm so caught up in the game that I forget to hit my shadowplay hotkey.

I'm willing to try anything, just don't know where to start. Any advice helps, thanks in advance.

Jan 28, 2023
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or informational events that occur just before or at the time of the freezes.

Reliabillity History is User Friendly and the time line format may reveal some pattern of events.

Event Viewer takes more time and effort.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

Hey Ralston18,

I've viewed both of those on a second monitor while playing the game, even had task manager and performance monitor up. It still would freeze randomly and there would be nothing recorded in any of those aforementioned programs...

I just built a completely new computer, not for this but because I wanted a new PC, and this computer is having the exact same issue as before... specs are below:

Processor: i9-12900K
Liquid Cooled
RAM: 64GB
GPU: 4080
PSU: 1000
Mem: 500GB, 1TB, 2TB M.2

I'm not sure what to even try and check at this point. Completely new computer and it's still doing the same thing. I've also reduced my setup to a 2 monitor setup. I would like to note that both monitors are at 144hz at 1080p. Would that potentially cause it?

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model motherboard(s)?

Make and model for that 1000 watt PSU:

Noted Task Manager and "Performance Monitor" Regarding "Performance Monitor" do you mean Resource Monitor or Process Explorer?

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Check Update History for any failed or problem updates on the new computer.

Likewise for "sfc /scannow" and "dism":

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

You may need to revert to some as basic as possible configuration to determine if the freezes stop. One drive, one monitor.

Minimal apps, utilities, etc., running in the background.

Then after a day or so without freezes then add something back. Continue methodically doing so, one thing/change at a time allowing time between changes.

Objective being that when the freezes begin the last/most recent change is a potential culprit.

Especially if the problem has followed into a second PC. Possibly a common configuration setting or some outside factor such as outlet power or network.

Intermittent problems are very tough to troubleshoot.

Key is to be able to duplicate the problem at will.

For example: Overclocking = freezing. No overclocking = no freezing.

Be it hardware, software, configuration.

Jan 28, 2023
Make and model motherboard(s)?

Make and model for that 1000 watt PSU:

Noted Task Manager and "Performance Monitor" Regarding "Performance Monitor" do you mean Resource Monitor or Process Explorer?

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Check Update History for any failed or problem updates on the new computer.

Likewise for "sfc /scannow" and "dism":

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

You may need to revert to some as basic as possible configuration to determine if the freezes stop. One drive, one monitor.

Minimal apps, utilities, etc., running in the background.

Then after a day or so without freezes then add something back. Continue methodically doing so, one thing/change at a time allowing time between changes.

Objective being that when the freezes begin the last/most recent change is a potential culprit.

Especially if the problem has followed into a second PC. Possibly a common configuration setting or some outside factor such as outlet power or network.

Intermittent problems are very tough to troubleshoot.

Key is to be able to duplicate the problem at will.

For example: Overclocking = freezing. No overclocking = no freezing.

Be it hardware, software, configuration.

Sorry for the delay.

I need to make an edit to my original post, this only happens in League of Legends and it freezes my computer for 2-4 seconds every time it happens.* That said:

Mobo: ASUS - TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS WIFI D4 (Socket LGA 1700) USB 3.2 Intel ATX Gaming Motherboard
PSU: CORSAIR - HXi Series HX1000i 80 PLUS Platinum Fully Modular Ultra-Low Noise ATX Power Supply - Black

Yes, I meant to say Resource Monitor, my apologies* No spikes or dips whenever this happens. It's like the system doesn't even recognize it happening. Tried the windows troubleshooter, picks up nothing and changes nothing. No failed updates or missing updates. Did SFC and it still happens.

Going to try playing with 1 monitor, no background programs except for necessary ones and riot client & league. Will add things back as the work week goes by and will reply my findings later in the week. Thanks for the help :D