Computer Freezes then Blue Screens

bancosrs

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
I have an Asus A53S Laptop. It's about 2 years old and is no longer under warranty and I am now getting the Blue screen of death. This started occurring after I had just opened a slot in the back that only had access to the ram but didn't modify anything. I can post a picture of that if needed.

It seems to occur when I put the computer under a small amount of load. It will happen if I run maybe 4 programs max. Skype, google chrome, microsoft office, etc.

I manage to get a picture of the screen when it blue screened.
vvjY04Q.png

I read about a "A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated" error.

This is also my only log from Event Viewer
- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-02-18T06:55:08.780418100Z" />
<EventRecordID>119126</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

I don't know what else to do... I can't send it in because I need it for school and it seems to be occurring enough now where I can't do anything on my computer.

Solution
Most Likely its the ram if there's 2 sticks try running it with only 1 stick in and see what happens then switch them out to test the other one. if its not the issue there isn't really a good cost effective way to repair it. Also if it is the ram try wiping the connectors on it i had a few issues that it was just connectors had some residue on them.
Most Likely its the ram if there's 2 sticks try running it with only 1 stick in and see what happens then switch them out to test the other one. if its not the issue there isn't really a good cost effective way to repair it. Also if it is the ram try wiping the connectors on it i had a few issues that it was just connectors had some residue on them.

Solution

bancosrs

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
This may be it. After I got blue screened again I took one of the sticks out and put it back. I should of done both but it was my first time messing around with notebook ram so I didn't want to break anything. It's been 2 hours and I ran a decently stressful game to test and see if anything would fail under load. It has not yet.

I will update this thread with full results tomorrow. I cant do anything more tonight with it. If it happens again I will do both sticks this time and update if necessary.

Thank you!

bancosrs

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Unfortunately the RAM has not fixed my problem. I jumped the gun to select an answer. I still need help... I ran a memtest x6 times and it found no errors. I plugged them back in and it still didn't fix it.

This time it appeared when my system was idling. I have a timer to put it to sleep and I think when it was starting to go into it I moved the mouse and my laptop tried to start back up but Blue screened.

What I have been trying is SeaTools for Windows. However, when I try to run it in Normal/Safe mode it doesn't even get to half way before it Blue screens. I think it's my HDD but I have ran error checks from my computer on it and it found none.

My system still crashes under load after I hear my HDD try to spin. I have always hear this from the day I bought it so it's nothing unusual, but now when I hear it it seems to crash.

To check HDD you can try booting from a USB with light Linux on it or something but from my experience it is a very rare case that an HDD would ever cause a blue screen but you can try replacing it and see what happens if not just return it back to store. From My experience it is most likely the motherboard or the CPU which tend to be expensive to replace in a laptop. My reasoning Behind it almost never being an HDD causing blue screen is that HDD is not used after windows is loaded all the information sits in RAM you can actually disconnect the HDD and computer will run fine as long as you don't load anything that was on the HDD.( Iv tried this but i don't recommend doing that). Not sure what else to suggest you can always bring it in to a local computer shop to have it checked. Also RAM passing a memtest does not always mean that it is not broken did you try both sticks separately and it still crashed with only 1 in ?

bancosrs

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Unfortunately I did a complete reset of my laptop. I restored it to factory settings probably two days after replying that it wasn't fixed. So far it has been working fine (fingers crossed).

I haven't ran any test yet, but like I said it has been working fine.

Couple things that was strange when I was restoring it to factory settings with the disc was that it failed the first time. I had to re-install windows 7 twice because of some G74Sx recovery error (not sure about the numbers G74sx) but it was an error during the recovery process.

Another one was; which I think was just the way it installs everything from the factory, but after it was done recovering my laptop kept restarting for a total of probably 50 times. I held the power button in around the 21st boot to keep it off for about 2 minutes and then turned it back on and after that it kept doing it but started to install the bloatware that it came with out of the factory. (Not sure how normal that was.)

Anyways, I am assuming that it may have been the drivers; however, it still blue screened in safe mode. If someone has ideas of what it was so that I could avoid it this time that would be great.

Again thanks for all the help!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts