Computer freezes then BSOD + HDD not recognized during boot

ongre

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Hello, I've got 3 BSOD since yesterday night and I've been trying to resolve them alone but failed to do so. I think I might need some external input.

The first two BSOD's I got was while I was trying out a new game and after some time when I alt-tabbed my computer just froze so I thought it was just the game and I uninstalled it but now I just got the same problem while browsing the net.

First BSOD when I restarted my boot order got messed up and it was trying to boot first in the HDD.

After each BSOD when my computer reboots only one of my SATA hard drives is recognized, the second one isn't. I don't know wich one isn't recognized it doesn't tell me it just says SATA #1 and SATA #2. I have to completely turn off my computer for it to boot properly.

I have tested my HDD in DOS with SeagateTools and it successfully passes the tests. My SSD does too.

I have no clue what the problem might be, I built my computer from the ground up pretty solid rig 2 years without problems.

Any ideas ? Could it be the motherboard ? The SSD ? The HDD ?

Specs :

Asus P7P55D
Intel Core i7-860
GeForce 660 GTX
Crucial 256 GB SSD
WD Caviar Blue 500 GB

EDIT : the BSOD error code is 0x000000F4 and it seems it has to do with jump/boot SATA or something so it makes sense..

ongre

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
I'm quite lucky, really funny the problem was that my SSD had more than 5184 hours of uptime and I never updated the firmware, past that time a SMART counter bugs everyhour and makes the SSD unresponsive for a long period of time, the computer dropping it and thinking he doesn't exist anymore. Updating the firmware fixed my problem. I don't know how to mark this solved it might help people.

Release Date: 01/13/2012
Change Log:
Changes made in version 0009 (m4 can be updated to revision 0309 directly from either revision 0001, 0002, or 0009)
Correct a condition where an incorrect response to a SMART counter will cause the m4 drive to become unresponsive after 5184 hours of Power-on time. The drive will recover after a power cycle, however, this failure will repeat once per hour after reaching this point. The condition will allow the end user to successfully update firmware, and poses no risk to user or system data stored on the drive.

TRENDING THREADS