Computer freezes up every once in a long time.

xrdar

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Hey guys,

I recently built a computer:

i5 4670k
asrock extreme 3
gigabyte 7950

I have it overclocked to 3.8 with a voltage of 1.1. I ran IBT and OCCT and Prime 95 all for a decent time and it was stable through all of that. However, every once in a while, like 2 weeks, it will randomly freeze up. Like the screen will turn some funny pattern and I have to physically turn it off.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

lookerup

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

then it would be a faulty card, but i would say it's too early to deduce it as faulty. He still needs to test his other components.

xrdar

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
If I remember correctly I did 20 on highest and it was fine. It doesn't seem like I get this problem under the same circumstances. Once it happened while I was running some cpu intensive physics simulations, but the other time was just when I was playing League which doesn't really stress anything as far as I can tell. I guess I'm just not sure if it's a graphics issue or a cpu issue. It also doesn't happen that often so it's hard to diagnose... I will try and reinstall graphics drivers and see if that helps, but again it's hard to know because it doesn't happen often.

Thanks for all the help btw :)

The fact that upon failure, the screen shows a strange pattern is what gets me thinking about a graphics related issue.

A oc failure gets you a blue screen or just a plain stop.

Could there be a heat issue?

Is your psu of good quality and strong enough?

xrdar

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
XFX Core 550W

Pretty sure it is not a heat issue, gpu idle at 37 according to real temp and never goes past 50 as far as I can tell

One thing I just thought of though, could it possibly have to do with gpu sag? The card is definitely not straight, but it's not to bad as far as I can tell.