Question Computer freezes when gaming ?

Aug 23, 2022
Hi guys
I’ve just built my new pc and I have been going through every step I have found to fix the issue of my computer freezing.
When I load up a game it freezes and I have to do a hard restart. The computer also makes a crackling sound then stops but then starts again which I have no idea what it could be I’ve seen it could be a psu issue? I have no idea, if I could get any advice it would be great! I don’t know if I should get a bigger Psu as a 3090ti recommends a 1000w but I thought it would still be ok to run or maybe it’s not quite enough power I have no idea at this stage anymore

Specs below

motherboard: msi z690 ace
CPU: 12th gen i9 12900k oc
RAM: team t-force 32gb 2x16gb each stick DDR5
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 pro m.2
Operating: windows 11
Cooling: corsair cpu cooling h170i plus 4 fans on case
GPU: msi 3090 ti
PSU: cosair RM1000e 1000w (2022)

Last edited:
Hey there,

I'd start by taking off the CPU OC and trying again.

Although your RM1000w in general terms would be plentyfor your system, the 3090ti has huge transient power spikes. They can go up to 600w on the GPU alone (now, this is only for a split second).

Also, some MSI mobo's have issue with stronger RTX cards. Make sure you have an up to date BIOS. What BIOS version are you currently running?

Finally, are all your system drivers, and GPu drivers up to date?

Aug 23, 2022
Thank you for your reply Keith,

Im running bios version E7D27IMS. 160
Which is the latest I installed,
All system drivers are up to date and gpu driver up to date.
I’m going to remove the over clocking now and I’ll let you know if it works,
Also when I enable XMP in bios I can tend to play a little longer in a game then if it wasn’t enabled which I see strange I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it

Aug 23, 2022
I have tried to remove the OC by changing it to per core I think that’s how you do it in bios I’m not really sure and I’m trying to YouTube it but I can’t find a video to stop overclocking but now I can’t connect to steam saying no connection but my internet is working I can use everything else, this is so annoying 😭

I have tried to remove the OC by changing it to per core I think that’s how you do it in bios I’m not really sure and I’m trying to YouTube it but I can’t find a video to stop overclocking but now I can’t connect to steam saying no connection but my internet is working I can use everything else, this is so annoying 😭
Yikes. Taking the OC off, shouldn't really interfere with anything else.

When you said 12900k OC, did you overclock it yourself? You can try to 'reset bios defaults' in the bios, that should revert any OC.

Aug 23, 2022
It came overclocked already, I changed back the settings and I could access steam again so I’m not sure why it interfered with steam.
I might get a pc shop/repair shop to look at it because I’ve done everything I have searched up and think of and it’s still freezing,
Thanks for your help Keith.