[SOLVED] Computer freezes when I switch to SATA3 mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobroslav

Reputable
May 29, 2014
Hello

I'm using Samsung NP300E5Z laptop (with i5-2540M inside), which I recently upgraded with a SSD Biostar S100 500GB.

Main issue I have since upgrade is that computer randomly freezes after a while, without any error, BSoD or so. During that freeze, I'm not able to do anything (I can only move the mouse pointer). I'm using Windows 10 64bit. When I tried to solve the problem by reinstalling the system, I got another problem - installation also freezes at 7-8% during "Getting files ready for installation". My first thought was that it could be a faulty installation or USB stick, but after loading setup defaults in BIOS, I realized that the problem is SATA GEN3 mode. When I disable it, everything runs smoothly, but I lose the full potential of SSD speeds.

I tried to install various versions of Intel Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI controller (Intel Rapid Storage technology), but I haven't found any that supports Windows 10. The latest version that is supported by my system I found is 11.6, which is by default for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7. I also tried to install the driver provided by DriverEasy (personally, I don't prefer using those kind of programs, but I was forced to do so), but computer keeps freezing.

Does anybody have the clue what's going on? Ahci is turned on in BIOS, TRIM is enabled.

Thanks in advance

Dobroslav

Reputable
May 29, 2014
I've solved my problem. I've found some HP drivers which are compatible with my Intel Mobile SATA-AHCI controller, which also contain Intel RST 12.8, which adds support for Windows 8.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.