Computer freezes when loading windows with video cards installed.

May 16, 2018
I was playing a game and my computer crashed randomly one day and since then I could not get my computer to load windows without freezing when both or even one of my GTX 660 TI's are installed. When I took both cards out the computer works and boots fine. Are my cards dead?

- Specs -
MB: Asus Sabertooth z77 1155 (bios is updated)
CPU: Intel i7 3770k CPU (stock speeds)
Cooling: Custom water loop
GPU 1: EVGA GTX 660 TI FTW+ 3GB
GPU 2: EVGA GTX 660 TI FTW+ 3GB
PSU: OCZ 1000w GOLD
Boot Drive: Samsung 850 pro 256GB SSD
Hard Drive: WD Black 7500rpm 2TB

When it boots with the GPU in it displays a red light for the BOOT_DEVICE_LIGHT on the motherboard. Boots to bios fine. When windows starts to load it freezes. Once all cards are removed it boots fine and im able to use my computer with no problems.

Solution
in the bios look for pci speed for the video slot by default it set to pci 3x speed. try setting it to 2x speed see if anything changes. also make sure the mb still is stock speed mode.

R0GG

Distinguished
- Did you try booting with one GPU at a time? Reseating GPUs of course.
- also check your Computer internal connectors SATA cables at both ends mainly to boot drive.
- Scan your SSD boot drive full scan with error fixing option , through windows (requires reboot).
- Monitors GPU temperature and verify drivers are correctly installed in windows device manager.

i have that same mb. will the gpu in any of the video slots on the mb cause the same issue?? if they do then your power supply may not be outputting the right voltage on the 12v rail. in the bios check your voltages on the three main rails. if they look ok try a test power supply.

May 16, 2018

I've been testing one at a time. Checked SATA cables.

I'm going to try scan the SSD tonight. If that doesn't work I'm going to try it with another brand new 750w PSU. If that doesn't work either. I'm going to just factory reset my boot drive tomorrow in hopes that it's a corrupted file or something.

May 16, 2018

Yes it does the same in the others. I'll check the bios. I do have another brand new 750w Powersupply I'm going to test tomorrow.