Computer freezes when playing graphics intensive games

CCfire751

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
My computer completely freezes making a static noise through my audio devices (like an intercom transmition) and I cant access task manager or desktop after playing graphics intensive games like Battlefield and far cry 4. I've had this issue in the past after a few hours of gaming but i believe that was due to dust and overheating; now i cant go ten minutes without my pc freezing completely. I recently upgraded my gpu from a msi gtx 670 to an evga 780 ti and that's when this problem became present. My guess is that its something to do with the way the card is running or maybe the power supply is not capable of supporting all of my components. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

My specs are:

CPU: Intel i5-3570k 3.40ghz, 4 cores

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Dual Classified w/ EVGA ACX Cooler

RAM: ADATA 16gb (4 x 4gb)

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Solution
That PSU has quite a dangerous and crap design. It has 4 12v rails. This in itself is not an issue at all. The fact that it only makes 17a on each rail is. Generally, the way the rails are distributed on a 4 rail design is as follows: 1 rail for the 24-pin/8-pin motherboard connectors, one rail for 2 GPU connectors, Another rail for 2 GPU connectors, and the last rail for the Molex/Sata connectors.

17a on each rail is laughable at best. This means that your GPU only has 17a which correlates to like 150w. Not enough. Even if the design uses 2 rails for the GPU connectors then you have only 34a for the GPU which is still pushing it. This is a terrible PSU. If you use the 780ti it will surely not work. I have seen many stories of this PSU...

ONKI

Reputable
May 23, 2014
You have to remove all the parts from your CPU clean them properly all the fans, put cooling paste on CPU (GPU if u can) and install it back again.

u should do it asap, more the PC shuts of over heating reduces the life of ur CPU.

CCfire751

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

Im not sure, can you explain how i can check that?

That PSU has quite a dangerous and crap design. It has 4 12v rails. This in itself is not an issue at all. The fact that it only makes 17a on each rail is. Generally, the way the rails are distributed on a 4 rail design is as follows: 1 rail for the 24-pin/8-pin motherboard connectors, one rail for 2 GPU connectors, Another rail for 2 GPU connectors, and the last rail for the Molex/Sata connectors.

17a on each rail is laughable at best. This means that your GPU only has 17a which correlates to like 150w. Not enough. Even if the design uses 2 rails for the GPU connectors then you have only 34a for the GPU which is still pushing it. This is a terrible PSU. If you use the 780ti it will surely not work. I have seen many stories of this PSU failing in a shower of sparks and frying all kinds of systems.

Solytech was the OEM for the OLD 2007 and older Thermaltake units. These were known for exploding and frying systems. TERRIBLE PSUs.

This PSU can't even actually make 800w at all. It is more like a 600w unit if you distribute the rails properly, and if not it could be much less.

As an example of a good unit, I have an Antec HCG750. This also uses a 4 rail design, but it makes 40a on each rail. Yes, FORTY AMPS on each rail. It is tested to produce about 850w safely. So you can see how awful 17a on each rail is in comparison.

Replace it ASAP before your system suffers.

Solution

CCfire751

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

Oh wow i didnt see all of that! Sorry im on mobile at the moment and it only showed part of your solution but that makes perfect sense! I thought it was something with the psu i just didnt know exactly what. Would you recommend not running any games at all for the time being until i get a replacement, or only the ones that create issues?