Computer Freezes when Playing High Resolution Video Games

bbangerter829

Prominent
Nov 26, 2017
My computer will freeze sometimes when playing games like Overwatch and Battlefield 1. It only happens occasionally; at the most once a day and at the least once every couple weeks. I can play games like World of Warcraft or run Android Studio and Unity perfectly fine. There is no noticeable sound that occurs when the computer freezes.

I have replaced my graphics card twice so that should not be the issue.I tried overclocking my pc when I first built it a couple years ago, but when the computer started to freeze while gaming I reset it. I am using an unlocked CPU but it is not overclocked. I ran a memtest for my ram and it did not find any problems. Six months ago my GPU crashed and I took my PC to Microcenter and when running their tests an issue occurred with the PSU, but when they ran the test again the PSU was fine so they did not think anything of it.

Here is a list of my specs:
Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro-Gaming
Ram: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
CPU: Intel - Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
GPU: Nvidea Gforce GTX 980
PSU: EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
CPU Fan: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler

Solution
Then I would download CoreTemp or HWinfo, no others, and while running in an environment where you would normally experience this issue, monitor the Core temperatures and also note whether it is indicated that throttling is happening which HWinfo will show.

Probably also a good idea to do a clean install of the GPU card drivers using the Display driver uninstaller by Wagnard tools. Run the Nvidia option WHILE in safe mode, then install the latest Nvidia drivers afterwards. Download the latest drivers before running the DDU.