Question Computer freezes when playing intensive games

May 27, 2020
Hello

So I've been having this problem really since I built my PC which would have been back in 2016 I think, which is as follows:

When I'm playing system intensive games (e.g. Call of Duty Warzone, Warhammer total war 2, hearts of Iron 4) my computer will occasionally completely freeze and make a loud static sounding noise and I'll have to hold down the power button for however long to get it to switch off.

The problem rarely happens when I'm playing by myself, it reliably occurs when I'm playing with other people and talking to them over skype/steam chat etc. It seems to get more frequent in hot weather which leads me to believe that something's overheating however:

I monitor my gpu temp and cpu temp on my second monitor and when my computer freezes I can see the number displayed there. My GPU doesn't go above 80 (Celsius) but is usually around 70 when things are intense (when there's not much going on it drops a lot cooler) and my CPU doesn't go much above 60, if the numbers are to be believed. I haven't been monitoring any of the other components.

Here are my specs:

CPU: intel i5 6500 3.20 GHz
GPU: Nvidia gtx 1060 6GB
Motherboard: ASUS H110MA
PSU: EVGA NEX650G (650W)
RAM: 2* 8GB Corsair, don't know the model, probably not important

My other thought is that the PSU is not enough but I bought one that, according to my calculations should be more than enough to power my system, maybe I have a defective unit?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS