Question Computer freezes when something hard drops on then desk

legendairyjoe

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
Now, i know that the title sounds strange but please hear me out. This problem has only happened twice (thank goodness) but when it does i wonder if it will be the last

First time was when i was carrying a heavy box over the desk and it slipped out of my hand and crashed onto the desk, making the whole entire PC to freeze. Basically no mouse movement, screens went still, no audio which is pretty much your standard crash right? Well i had to flip the on/off switch on the back of the PSU which i know should never be done.

Second time was when i simply slammed the desk with my fist making it to shake and the same thing happening again. Had to restart via the PSU swich

What i am worrying is if this happens again will that be the last time? My PC wouldn't turn back on? Being the only two times of this happening, today and last year, it never happens outside of something heavy dropping onto the desk. Loose connection in my PC, or is my PSU going out?

Thanks for any help

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I suspect you have something loose inside your rig. Time to check all connectors, installed PCIe devices, memory, etc.

Also, make sure that the motherboard is securely connected to the case mounting points and that all devices connected to both the front and back panels are securely fastened.

legendairyjoe

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
I suspect you have something loose inside your rig. Time to check all connectors, installed PCIe devices, memory, etc.

Also, make sure that the motherboard is securely connected to the case mounting points and that all devices connected to both the front and back panels are securely fastened.

In all honesty I had been hearing something rattle ever since the first time that this had happened. I put it off as the fan was loose or something and didn't think anything of it, but after reading your response i opened up the case and it turned out that there were a few screws loose on the mobo which probably were the cause of the noise

Thanks for the response! Probably would have gone further without ever thinking about the issue if this hadn't occurred today